Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 230: Stars

When JE and I were first married and living in Michigan, we visited a lovely little lake one night for a swim. The stars were out in abundance, as were the fireflies. The lake was quiet and still. As we walked into the lake, the stars reflected on the water and the fireflies were dipping mid-air. We were completely in awe, and surrounded by velvety blue darkness brimming with light.

A few days later, with that night still vivid in our memories, I was introduced to a whole new way to be uncomfortable. Swimmer's itch. A nasty little parasite that likes to find new homes under swimmer's skin.

Today, I had my first ever paid baking commission. 20 strawberry tarts, a dozen and a half of each of two different types of cookies. The pies are amazing. The cookies--JE loved them. I am not sold on cookies, just the mini pies.

JE accompanied me to deliver them. Afterward, we drove to the lake where we will be swimming on Sunday. It is a strange set up. We enter from one beach, swim to a buoy, and then end up on a second beach. We walk/run to transition 1 and pick up our bikes, ride for 13 miles up Santiago Canyon and back down to a second Transition Area where we change shoes and run around for 6 or so miles.

This tri sort of feels awkward, with it's two transition areas and start line so far from the transition area--do I take flip-flops and leave them on the first beach? If yes, then post race, I'll be picking up my bike, helmet, cycling shoes, cycling goggles, and water bottles from one area, my goggles and swim cap from another area, and my flip-flops from yet another area. I'm tempted to shove my goggles and swim cap into my under seat bag, just so I don't have to worry about them when I get back. Quickness during the race or loss of gear, not fair options.

As we pulled into the parking lot of what will be a transition area on Sunday, we saw a sign, warning about Lake Mission Viego having Swimmer's itch. I found a place to dip my toe and discovered that the lake is still fairly cool. The itch shouldn't be too much of a problem. One thing I am feeling so relieved about is seeing that long haul swim! No walls, no barriers; just me and a lake. I love swimming open like that. I'm not even worried about the temperature of the water.

My run tonight was interrupted by some rapid fire physical needs. This same thing happened last time, and proved to mostly be nerves. Nothing to be alarmed about. I am a machine--corn for dinner, corn at lunch--that's all I'm saying.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Iris. I don't comment as much as I should, but rest assured, you have a fan in me. Only you, my dear, could write about swimmer's itch and strawberry tarts in the same post. LOL! Congrats on the commission and best of luck for the Event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy! I love your blog, too. You are inspiring!
    And thanks for the congrats!

    ReplyDelete