Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 241: Memorial Day

Thanks Dad and Grandpa for your service in the military. Thanks for my freedom. Thanks all of you military personnel for your service!

What a great day. We went running beach side on the trails in Crystal Cove overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Afterward we sat reading for several hours. Though it was not warm by California standards, the beach was jam packed with people in swimsuits. We bundled up in fleeces and hats, and were grateful that the car was so sun baked when we got into it.

Before we ran, we went to Trader Joe's market and picked up lunch and some snacks. I was realizing as we were there, that there is a huge difference in what we chose for food today verses what we would have chosen for food a year ago. We are conscientiously trying to eat leaner and healthier. Instead of chips, we buy popcorn. Instead of candy, we buy fruit (OK, and salt water taffy--I love salt water taffy, and this stuff had no hydrogenated oil and all natural color and flavor! And I RAN FOUR MILES!) Chocolate has become a treat, as in we only eat the good stuff on rare occasions.

Something that has also changed is our willingness to go do something active. Tonight, when we got home from the beach, we changed from our beach gear to our swim gear and went for 30 laps with speed intervals every 4 laps. The last six alternated every 3rd lap. On my third speed interval, I tried elongating and reaching far out in front of me, and exaggerating my rotation. Perhaps it was my fastest lap, next time I need to take my chronometer.

There is still no race in my future, things still need to be decided. But, I can at least come up with something for now that will make me stronger and faster.

Last night, as I was looking at races, I started to get fearful when I was looking at the swims. Not fun, not good. This fear is real, and it sucks. I feel like I need to get back up on the horse. I do not want my first race to be my last, and to feel that fear about it.

Name of my Fear:
Nope, no name is coming. Just that musty smell in the water. Weird, because I grew up swimming in lakes and rivers in Washington State far colder and mossier than that lake. I am just going to have to get over there and swim it until I can figure out how to swim in it.

Plan for the week: Shooting for 9 workouts per week: 1 recover, one speed and one distance in each discipline. I have also committed to running 80 miles in June, that equals about 3 miles per day.

Monday: 4 mile recovery run
PM: speed swim

Tuesday: AM: Wake up early and 15 minutes of Sun Salutations. 2 mile run plus weight training. (the baker is back, so I will be working in the AMs)
PM: A bit lost without my bike... So... Hmmm... Another 3 mile run with speed intervals. run 5 minutes, sprint 30 seconds. Followed by stretching
Dinner: Salad with spring greens, goat cheese, candied pecans, cherries, and good bread with soft boiled eggs.

Wednesday: AM: Wake up early and 15 minutes of Sun Salutations. 4 mile run (recovery)
PM: Long swim 48 laps working toward a goal of owning 2,500 yard by the end of July
Dinner: Chicken Enchiladas with green sauce

Thursday: AM: Wake up early and 15 minutes of Sun Salutations. 2 mile run Do some core training with Club Nike
PM: Really hoping to have Little Red back to go for a nice little training ride on the Back Bay with some speed intervals. Add a mile to my MPH every 5 minutes for 40 minutes.
Dinner: Spaghetti and salad with some good bread.

Friday: AM: Wake up early and 15 minutes of Sun Salutations. Long run: 6 miles, working toward a 10 mile goal by the end of July. (this seems like a big leap, but hopefully the core and weight training will help here)
PM: Recovery Swim--24 laps

Saturday: Long ride up Santiago Canyon? JE has band practice again. So happy for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment