Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 213: Rest Day

Again with the Santa Ana winds. Hot and dry and windy. My skirt blew around my legs as we rode to church on bike. It felt strange to ride in church clothes, very fundamentalist. We attended church in Irvine, because getting to that church required riding over very few hills as opposed to ours at the top of Everest.

Why are there no bike racks anywhere in Irvine? There are bike paths and lanes on almost every major street, but finding racks is next to impossible. It is a bit ridiculous, particularly in the strip malls next to the trails. Nothing.

After church we dropped by Flame Broiler for a quick bite before we headed out on a "Sunday Drive," so to speak. We sat outside in the shade and enjoyed the view. Five bites into my lunch and my gag was triggered. I sat concentrating on not loosing my lunch for the next five minutes before I excused myself and made friends with a hedge. Not pretty. I puked until my gut was empty. Afterward I sat and tried to quiet my tummy with a soda water, while JE finished his meal--and mine. Just as I finished a twenty ounce cup, my tummy couldn't be quiet anymore. This time I found my way to the bathroom and anything that was left in there, wasn't there afterward.

We bagged the Sunday ride and rode the ten miles home. I felt fine, aside from feeling really tired and having a monster headache from nearly bursting my head open. Sometimes food just does that to me. Strange thing. Sushi stopped being palatable after a similar episode. Loosing my lunch in a parking lot...

So, There are two and a half weeks of training before I need to taper down in prep for my race. Still anxious about my ankle and running. I have asked a friend if he would fill in for me if I can't, but I really really really want to do this--on my own (he is a saint for even considering it--thank heaven for good friends). So, I think my goals need to be to train in bricks this week and next, work on my hill climbs on bike, run when I am able --work on increasing to the 10K (if unable to run, replace it with hill training on the bike), continue core strengthening, eat well including the 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb, 1/2 vegetable and fruit rule.

JE has been running with Pete from work, who forces him to run faster--this is a good thing. While I have been swimming on my own. It isn't exactly unifying, but with our longer workouts, comes greater fatigue and greater need for sleep in the mornings. Thus we have slackened our pace of training in the mornings.

Plan for the Week:

Mon AM: Ride to work and beyond (shoot for 40 miles of varying terrain)
PM: swim 48 laps, work on speed and consistency, Sets
Dinner: BBQ chicken, corn, asparagus, French potato salad (uses vinaigrette instead of mayo)

Tuesday: AM: Cycle to work followed immediately with: Run for 42 minutes with a goal of 10.5 minute miles
PM: take it easy, but keep moving!
Dinner: Falafel, tabouli, hummus, pita, tzatziki

Wednesday: AM: cycle to work and beyond--try the route for the race?
PM: swimming 48 laps, sets
Dinner: Vietnamese Bun--vermicelli salad with shrimp

Thursday: AM: Brick: cycle back bay, 7K run
PM: take it easy
Dinner: haystacks

Friday AM: Cycle to work
PM: Swimming 53 laps, Sets
Dinner: One dish chicken, potatoes and leeks

Saturday: Run 8K
Dinner: Spaghetti and meat balls

No comments:

Post a Comment