Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 237:

My run was amazing, this morning. I was strong and happy and sunk below my 10 minute mile mark for my 3.23 miles. A short rest builds up the strength to do an activity better, faster and longer.

Today, I took a challenge to run 80 miles in June, that is 3 miles per day, 6 days a week. Or I could do 6 miles, 3 times a week. Whatever I opt for, I am committed to running 80 miles in June. Perhaps I could work my way up to running 10 miles at a time. Why not?

A funny thing happened with my ankle. If you have been on board with this blog, you know how stricken I was with an Achilles tendon, for a couple months. It was so bad, I felt I needed to ask a friend if he would run for me in the Tri if I needed it. One day, the thought occurred to me that I really didn't want to have a runner. I wanted to do it myself--period. It seemed as if my body had been waiting for me to commit to that, before it could start to heal. It was only a matter of days before I could run, unhindered by my ankle. I wonder what other things are hindered by my own thinking...

When I got back from my run, I tried out a new strengthening routine. Lots of glut strengthening. I'll need to make sure I stretch carefully each time I do this, to ensure I don't cramp my hip, again. I have also committed to do 15 minutes of Sun Salutations each morning when I get up--if I feel like doing more yoga, I will do more, but I need to stretch my hips, shoulders and ankles.

This arvo, I spent some time sitting by the pool. I never do that. Just sit. It felt good to get warm, as I was so close to turning on the heat in the house. Most people think of California and think: warm, sunny beach. The reality is that when the rest of the nation starts heating up, we get what is called marine layer--a dense, wet cloud cover that cools things down and often doesn't let up until the afternoon. Sometimes it does not let up; particularly near the beaches. We call it June gloom but sometimes it lasts May through part of August, almost everyday." Summer is not my favorite time of year here. January and February, on those amazing clear golden days--so rare, but so beautiful, when you can see the dunes on Catalina because it looks like you could swim there. That is California at it's most sublime.

So, what is happening with this bakery business of mine? not much. The baker, whose kitchen I borrow, had a family emergency and left for Germany a week ago. He called yesterday to let me know he would be back sometime next week. I am patiently and excitedly waiting for a CD with my Logo and web info on it. I'll order business cards soon! In the mean time, I should be baking for photos for my website, but don't want to have all those baked goods in the house without somewhere to take them. Do it anyway, my inner coach is telling me--Tomorrow! OK. In the morning I ride with DA, the arvo I spend with my oven and a camera. I've been hesitant to take samples around to the businesses in my area without my web address and ordering info, but I am sure I can find someone who would like some fresh baked pie from my kitchen...

As I was getting ready for a date with my JE tonight, I realized I really need new jeans. I'm swimming in more than just the pool! All my skirts are at my hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment