Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 220: Rest Day

My Gram's mother died of an abscessed tooth when Gram was about three and half. When her father remarried a few years later, my Gram was sent away to live with her nursemaid for a few months. Gram was in first grade and in order to get to school, her nursemaid's husband, who had no driver's license, hitched up the wagon and horse and drove the few miles into town to the school. Gram laughed as she told this story today, saying that it makes her sound much older than she is.

Sometimes, when we are together, Gram talks about World War II. Today, was one of those days. She talked about how many women she knew who were divorced following the war. About how general etiquette of the children deteriorated after women went to work in factories and couldn't be home to teach their children (this subject was introduced as she observed a "jerk" who was wearing a ball cap at the table with his family). She talked about the freedom in being able to work. And how the returning fathers never did bond with their children who were born while the fathers were away at war.

I hate that when people see my Gram holding JE's hand or my hand for stability as she makes her way down a restaurant aisle, they see only an ancient woman. If they knew her--even now, at 91, she is funny, fierce, loving, and sharp as a tack. She can keep a conversation going when I've exhausted all of my news. She is always learning new skills and practicing her hand at Chinese brush painting.

My Gram has been one of my biggest supporters in this endeavor to do triathlons. Often, when we talk, she tells me I should get a personal trainer. She is right. I didn't realize how upsetting this car thing has made me until she told me to get a personal trainer for my upcoming race and the reality of how much this repair will cost hit.

Sometimes, when I see the stats of where people are in the world who are viewing this blog, I feel like such an ingrate to complain about my life--in any way. All of you around the world--Hi! My life is good, rich, blessed. But what you see on TV? It is make believe. Life here is fast, complex and often beautiful, but comes at a cost. Life here is just expensive. But happiness comes free in a package deal with gratitude and grace.

Getting around on bike, as a sole means of transportation in a place that is built around getting around by car, is not easy. Last week, several things I needed to get done, went undone because of the heat and my unwillingness to travel in it on bike. And yet millions of people around the world do so much more with so much less. (I am a spoiled brat.)

Planning this week is really hard for me. I've been trying to understand tapering, but not having much luck planning it. Last week should have been my peak week and now I am supposed to decrease my training by 20% this week and 30% next week. But I am really not confident about my run. (perhaps I am overtired tonight, and feeling fairly out of sorts). I am unsure what my goals should be, so I will do the best I can with what I've got. JE says that we have the components for our race and that we should just focus on that. And I think it will possibly all change tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

Plan for the Week:
Monday: AM: Ride to work w JE, pick up a few groceries, Sets
PM: Swim 36 laps--work on speed
Dinner: Herring, crackers, veggies

Tuesday: AM Cycle to work w JE, Stretch
PM: Run 9K
Dinner: Thai Chicken Curry

Wednesday: Cycle to work w JE, Sets
PM: Swim 42 laps
Dinner: Vegetarian chili and corn bread

Thursday: AM: Cycle to work w JE, Stretch
PM: Run 10K?
Dinner: Turkey Tacos

Friday: Cycle to work w JE, Sets
PM: Swim 48 laps
Dinner: Melody Brocious's Rooster named Chuck. Chuck au vin... Sound delish!

Saturday: Check out the course and find a new place to eat. Maybe run the 10K on the course to give me confidence that I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment