Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 228: Alters

Most of my day was spent either wandering shop to shop, or behind my sewing machine. I spent the better part of the morning seeking elastic laces and a racing jersey. The jersey was far too expensive, but I bought it anyway with the anticipation of returning it unworn and perfect tomorrow. It has been a good guide to help navigate these uncharted waters of "action wear." The arm hole and hem are all that are left to finish, and then I have something long enough and shaped so it doesn't ride up in strange and uncomfortable places. Got to admit, it is a bit wild--I didn't have enough of any one fabric to make it, so I used 4 different kinds. Debating putting in a shelf bra or just wearing my nice sport bra.

Around 5:30, realizing the day had slipped by, I jumped into my tri-shorts and a running jersey. I ran to the pool, swam a quick 600 yards (as in 8:38 minutes--a new record for me), ran back to the house and jumped into my cycling shoes and jacket then took off to find JE on his way home. It was a dual headwind kind of day, so I got a good workout, though it was a short one (8.1 miles). Once we were home, I discarded my bike and ran a couple miles. The new laces could be great, but I couldn't get my sweaty wet feet into my shoes! Seriously! I need to address this problem quick! Socks?

Every once in a while, I'll buy something usually off limits. Occasionally that something will become the staple in our house. Yesterday, I bought frosted flakes. That was breakfast and a quick dinner as we dashed out the door to go to the temple.

Lots of thoughts here....

Our temple is a sweet, beautiful, peaceful place. I learn a lot every time I go. Tonight I thought about the ancient tradition of sacrifice. Though the physical act of animal sacrifice ceased thousands of years ago, the act of personal sacrifice is requisite in every element of self improvement. My very simplified view of the purpose of religion is that it allows us to be better people, brings us closer to God by helping our fellow men. The act of sacrifice, whether it is time or talent, or money or self--the very act, brings hope. It takes faith to grab the shovel, but hope moves the mountain. I have hope in a lot of things; I have brought my heart to the alter, again and again. There is joy in sacrifice.

When we got home, around 10:30, we made a real dinner. This morning, I couldn't bring myself to make a meatloaf. I could not buy the meat, it just sounded awful! Fish. I bought a local halibut fillet. Tonight, we poached it in white wine, capers, and garlic. We sauteed some Italian squash and onions and ate hungrily.

No comments:

Post a Comment