Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 221: Gumption

In my reading of Triathletes bible, many times the author mentions "mental toughness" as being an attribute to work toward. It is something I think about often as I pull up a hill with my legs burning or my toes on fire after a long run. Just the words invoke empowerment.

As we pulled up to the auto rental company on Saturday, I noticed a new business a couple doors down. A bakery. While JE was taking care of business, I walked over and got a couple bagels. The baker was on his own, prepping food in the back and helping people at the counter. He was pretty busy. All weekend, I had been thinking about this place, so conveniently located to my house, and the potential need of both businesses.

This morning, when we returned the car, I went again to get bagels. Same story.

JE and I rode to his work, and I continued on with the same route we did Saturday. Twenty eight miles. About 11 miles in, my head started to ache, and then turned into a bit of a brutal headache. I finished my ride and went home for a little nap.

I woke with a sense of urgency about getting to the bakery and talking to the baker to see if we could work something out. While I don't lay much store by my horoscope, I was inspired by mine today:
Inspiration is the keyword for the day. You may be feeling highly motivated to move on with what others may consider impossible dreams and turn them into reality. Do not let Impossibility stop you. Instead, you should consider all contingencies carefully and practically in order to make them work. Friends could be inspired by your vision and determination and follow your example. Go for it!

As I was walking down the sidewalk, I met an acquaintance and friend whom I spoke with a couple years ago--she was at the pool studying her nursing books. I don't remember why or how we met, but she needed someone to bounce her life crisis off--I was that someone. She was a single mom of 2 young teens, trying to finish nursing school, and working full time. I don't remember the particulars, but she thought she should drop school and just work so she could be with her family more. I'd like to say I inspired her to stay in school, but I think she already knew it would be wiser to stay and finish. I met her again, a year after she graduated. She called me her angel. Seeing her today, was a sort of inspiration and reminder of the importance of having a goal and striving toward it. I'm so proud of her!

I continued on my walk to the bakery. Can I just say that that bakery is within a quarter mile of my home--the sidewalk is not that long! But I met another friend who was coming up the walkway. He is leaving soon as a missionary. He invited us to go with him to the temple this Saturday. I am so proud of him, also.

At last I got to the bakery, introduced myself to the baker, Max. He was excited at the prospect of having help at the counter, of sharing his kitchen, and of having a cake decorator on hand. I have a kitchen! Now to take care of the rest of the business end of things!

Swimming tonight, with a light heart and a song! So strong and quick. So much to think and be grateful for about as I glided through the water.

12 days, eight hours until my next triathlon.

2 comments:

  1. You are a true inspiration! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! Sorry to hear about the headache, but goodness what a great day you seem to have had. :)

    ReplyDelete