Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 216: Nachos

Apparently, I was so engrossed in my tales of doom yesterday that I forgot to tell this sweet little diddy: yesterday was a really slow day for me. At one point, I stopped on my bike to watch some brand new ducklings swimming with their mama. My helmet was on, and I must have been holding very still; because out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a huge, black wing right next to my head. I looked up, suddenly and heard a flap and whoosh as a massive raven made a quick right angle and flew into a nearby tree. He sat on a branch, eying me quietly for a while as I laughed at him. All I can think, is that my shimmery silver helmet must have seemed a luscious place to land. As I rode past where he was perched, he started breaking off branches and dropping them at me. I think he was humiliated, or maybe I have an admirer.

Today felt so good to be out! The sun was bright, but the wind came from the sea--such a delightful feeling! The warm sun and the cool breeze. Twenty two miles of working on my intensity and cadence. To be honest, I rode with JE to work, parked my bike and ran 4 miles. Then got back on my bike and rode home. My initial plan was to head up to Shady canyon for some hill training, but by the time I was finished with my run and back onto my bike, my temp gauge on my bike computer read 102. I doubt that was true, but it was pretty hot, and windy.

When I got home, last night's dinner was prepackaged as a lovely well rounded lunch for me. Tabbouleh, hummus, and bagel chips. It was so nice not to have to think about what I was going to eat--I was so very hungry!

Dinner was a bit on the opposite side of that spectrum.

JE returned home and found me in my sewing room attempting to knock off a pattern from my now-see-through-swim bottoms. I usually have a post-ride-pre-workout snack prepared for him and dinner on the brink of being ready for us after our swim. When we got back from swimming, we threw chips and cheese and canned beans into a bowl and nuked it in the microwave for 5-6 minutes. Then added olives, salsa, and avocado. I do not recommend this dish. Blah...

And after working so hard for our swim! This afternoon, I watched videos on You Tube about swim techniques. Perhaps I watched too many of them to be effective, perhaps I really need to find a good swim coach. My butt does not drag (a good thing), and my rotations seem appropriate, but my arms feel weak. I swam 1.23 miles, that is a mile and a quarter. My speed is still not where I want it to be, but I don't know how to improve. This is the most frustrating thing of all of this: Knowing I need to improve, but not knowing how to improve.

Tonight in the pool, we met up with the would be surfer, again. His name is Ron and we talked about how tough swimming is, that it doesn't give the buzz that running does. When I asked him when his first surf was, he said around the middle of June, when the Pacific heats up. I told him I'd hold him to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment