Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 304: Rest Day

Four hours of sleep seems to be my limit right now. And getting to sleep is a little like trying to sneeze, when someone says "bless you," when they see that particular expression on your face that says, 'I am about to sneeze.' It flits, it floats, it fleetly flees, it flies. It sucks. At 3:30am, I finally took a pain killer-my placebo for sleeping pills.

Around 8 am, I awoke with a dream that I was in an amazing bicycle race that transcended time. At times I was in the 1930's, others I was in the present. Little Red was my bike through it all. I woke when I couldn't get Little Red off a descending elevator in an art deco skyscraper (where I'd had to ride the elevator to the top floor to have my photo taken with my bicycle--my outfit was very Amelia Earhart-esque) after another contestant pushed all the buttons to try to slow me. The doors would open at each floor, but the elevator only paused and dropped between levels. In frustration, I awoke and started my day.

JE's Birthday. We have a tradition in our family that we make breakfast in bed for each other, to celebrate birthdays. While JE slept, I made fresh squeezed orange juice (from oranges I picked myself), homemade waffles with maple syrup, Canadian bacon and poached eggs. Somehow, I seem to have surprised him.

This afternoon, JE wanted to go to the OC fair. So much fun. My favorite thing there is always the animals and the gardens, the crafts (particularly the woodworking, it inspires me) and the collections. The collections interest me because, I am always flabbergasted at what people collect! There was a shoebox filled with used staples--as in little shards of metal picked out of paper and tossed in a shoebox for safe keeping. Why!?! Other things are really cool, like the vintage kitchen tools and the Steve McQueen clothing.

Plan for the week:
Monday
AM: run, speed
PM: swim, recovery
Caprese chicken pasta salad

Tuesday AM: bike, long
Sets
Dinner: fresh tomato soup and cheesy bread

Wednesday AM: run, recovery
PM: swim, speed
Dinner: Chipotle

Thursday AM: Sets
Dinner: on the road to Zion

Friday: bucket-list fulfillment of hiking Zion's Subway and dinner out to celebrate

Saturday: funeral for our friend's kid who was killed in a scout boating accident, then head home. Swim to shake off the car ride

No comments:

Post a Comment