Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 299: Palace Verde

Last night, my calf was still in a tight little ball. Seeking to relieve this, I took a muscle relaxer and read while I waited for it to kick in. About half an hour later, I barely had time to put my book down, before I was taken over by a wave of complete unconscious bliss. Around ten, I finally started to wake up and discovered my JE was still in bed beside me. He wasn't feeling well, still.

Most of the morning, we lazed about. Finally around two, I was so anxious to get out of the house I could hardly stand myself.

We drove the 47 miles to Palace Verde, bicycles in tow. We set off down the road, enjoying the amazing views of the Great Pacific ocean that stretched out around us. It was a fun ride, and a bit of an adventure.

I only almost got killed once... Gold Mercedes decided that even though I had no safe shoulder or bike lane to ride in, nor enough road to safely share, I shouldn't take the lane (ride down the middle of the road, completely legal in such circumstances). JE said the bumper of the car sat 4 inches from my back tire. The guy in the car was blasting his horn at me for many, many seconds. I heard him, but I stayed my ground, completely ignoring him; as long as he was honking at me, he could see me. After I passed the median, before I could get back to the safe right of the lane, he passed me on my left, not a foot from me. Sometimes I wish people would just think--I am a person, a human being, and he had just threatened my life. I was riding there to be safe, there were plenty of reasons for me to be where I was. And then he had the nerve to flip me off. I think I need to start carrying rotten eggs...

JE swooped past me, in hot pursuit of the gold sedan. I didn't realize how bad the situation had been until I caught up and JE told me that he had been trying to catch up to the car so he could kick the guy's ass. Then he corrected himself and said that he would probably have killed him. (For those who do not know my JE, that is not part of his day to day vernacular--EVER. He is a very, very peaceful sort, unless compelled).

Adrenalin is a beautiful thing. After that incident, there were no hills on that very hilly road. Everything was effortless and easy. Such a green and sparkling place. It was fun to see JE on the road ahead of me, panniers on and everything. I think we may need to go touring together. He would probably love it.

We rode to Manhattan Beach pier, where we picnicked on homemade sandwiches and watched the tourists. Then headed back. We made it back to the car just at dark.

Roscoe's for dinner. Not so in love with that little ball of fatty-happiness, but I do love their greens and corn bread.

Nice to have a surprise adventure with my Honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment