Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 300(!!!): Dolce Vita

Tim and Debi, friends from church (Tim is also our mechanic) lived fairly close. They welcomed us to their home several times, and always invited us to travel with them and a small group of their friends. I never really took them seriously, thinking they were just being pleasant. Every year, they traveled with their family and/or friends to some amazing place. They especially loved cruises.

Today, I learned a lot about those two. Wish I had taken them seriously about traveling with them. Those two were so full of love and so willing to let people into their lives. They lived for their social lives, and were very genuinely loved and loving.

They were killed in a motorcycle accident a week and a half ago, and I helped with the family meal at the funeral today (Debi was always helping in the kitchen at church events, She was missed today). It was a sweet service, some laughter, lots of tears. The chapel was filled half way to the back of the full sized basketball court behind the chapel, usually separated by a partition.

I had a chance to review my life, which is a tiny bit of what I think funerals are about. Where am I in my hopes and desires for who I am and what I hope to be? Not at all where I want to be. As I was talking to my sister about this, she reminded me to look at the things I can do to correct it, not at those things where I feel I have failed. Forward moving, positive motion vs downward spiral. Gotta figure out how to wash off my people-repellant before I go to church.

Swimming can be a really reflective time for me, so I was a little apprehensive getting in the pool today. 48 laps, with 4/1 speed intervals. I did good; bested my best time by 2 seconds. I missed my speed laps at 28 and 32, blew right past them and thought I had somehow forwarded my chronometer. But reviewing that time slot showed my time in those spaces. I don't remember swimming it, lost in thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment