Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 282: Beautiful day in the neighborhood

JE went to band practice at his work. I left there and rode down the backbay trail to PCH where I landed on a bench overlooking the Great Pacific at Crystal Cove State Park. I think it was around 21 miles, not really sure. My bike computer battery died. Last I looked at my odometer, I was around 7,400 miles--on my bike.

JE came to me, bringing salad and sourdough from Boudin. It was a perfect lunch/dinner. We hauled our backpack beach chairs down to the beach and had to walk a bit to find a space to set up. The past few times we have gone to the beach on a Saturday, we were so crowded with people we could barely move. Today, the incoming tide was so high there was hardly a beach to sit on! We walked until we found a tiny patch of dry sand in the protection of a large rock just at the break. As we were setting up our chairs, the surf came in, sloshing over our feet. It was a fun place to be, the cliff behind us with a large shrub protecting us from any falling rocks, and the waves coming to shore in a large tubular wall. The tide crested at 4:13, about half an hour after we got there. Each time the surf came up high, sand fleas crawled out of the sand and bounced over out toes and ankles. A few times the water came up high enough that we worried our bums would get wet; we were laughing so hard about that. The best part was, we had the whole beach to ourselves--all 10 square feet of it!

JE and I came home and changed into warmer clothes. The Orange County Great Park had an Anniversary Celebration. We parked the car in a nearby neighborhood and biked into the park (later, the park was a parking lot and we zoomed by on our bikes avoiding the chaos--SWEET). We watched some of the airshow--biplanes doing loop-de-loops and free falling (CRAZY!!!). There were fireworks tonight. (I finally got my fireworks! I'm afraid the most patriotic thing we did on Independence day was export the British. Just kidding... Sort of... We took our friend from the UK to LAX to catch a flight back home.)

The fireworks show was really fun. They were so close! And the music was super fun, too. Generally, I don't love 80's music. But these were all the favorites from my rollerskating days: Tears for Fears--everybody wants to rule the world, The Bangles--walk like an Egyptian, Toni Basil--Micky, and my favorite: Prince--Purple rain to which they choreographed a spangle of glittery falling purple fire-fountains raining from the sky. The crowd loved it. There were so many families with loads of kids and over the crackle of the fireworks display you could hear the kids genuinely oohing and ahhing. It was sweet.

Yogurtland for dinner. Someday, someday soon, I will plan our meals again and live by it. Not working requires a lot of work in other ways. Less than a month until I am back at my tailoring gigs!

No comments:

Post a Comment