Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 270: Perseverance

In a brief chat, via text with a friend, I discovered a whole train of thought on perseverance. He was saying he has no talent for music. Talent or no, the man can play a mean guitar and a killer keyboard. The reality is: if he puts his mind to anything, it gets done and done very well--including med school. He took it as a personal challenge when someone told him he would never get through med school, he now works as an ER doc.

I have another friend who is a high water mark of living for me. One day he told me that he recognizes that I could do anything I put my mind to. So flipping flattered by that. But right now, right this moment: I don't know what I want. I do know that I do now want to be in charge of baking 200 pies every day. I am not a factory worker. The fun is in the discovery and problem solving of something rather than recreating it, again and again. Re-creation, holds no power for me. I guess I am a one hit wonder, of a sort. I will perfect recipes, trial and error until I find perfection and that will be enough. But how do I build a business on that principal? Yes, I have a gift and talent for baking, but do I have the perseverance to build a business around it? Perhaps I just do what I can as I am able and worry about having to make 200 pies when I have an order for 200 pies. For me, it is all about the adventure--as pointed out by friend RH while waiting for JE's haircut.

I think that is the reason I love my job as a tailor for theaters. I have never made the same thing twice. Each show, I work with different designers, fabrics, designs, even venues and people. Actually that is not true--I once made the same dress x3 in varying shades of green--it was floral print--the exact same dress--the exact same placement of each flower x3. yes, I get obsessive, sometimes...

This evening JE had a haircut in Dana Point. After his appointment, we drove down to the marina and went running. The jetty is covered with birds at night. There was so much ruckus from them and a few sea lions. The marina is crawling with rats-I wouldn't eat there if I were you!

No comments:

Post a Comment