Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 259: Valogi

After my deliveries this afternoon, I dropped by Irvine Bicycles and dropped off Little Red. She needs a new center chain ring and a rear cassette. As an alternative ride, today, I test rode a Valogi bike. It is a super light frame with a shallow rear base. The configuration is interesting. On JE's bike, I feel stretched out and comfy. On the Valogi, I don't know... It's tighter somehow for my 6'3" frame. I really liked the quick smoothness of the Shamano gears and breaks and the disc breaks kick butt. The strangest part was the wind factor and how unsteady I felt with a gusty cross breeze because of the lightness of the frame (little Red is a tank--even when fully loaded with panniers on front and back it only moved as much as this bike did with just me on it). It was, however, so much smoother going over the rough patches on the trail--and that is because of the frame. It's good to know this stuff. Someday, hopefully sooner than later, I would like a new road bike, and the only way I will know what I want and what works is to ride everything!

I decided to treat yesterday as a rest day, and today was my ride. I'll be missing my long ride this week, but need to be OK with that. That race in September is coming, but still comfortably far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment