Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 256: Hatching

This afternoon, as I was driving the baker's van up the 55 freeway, I had this sweet moment of pause where I just felt like--This is life. Just sweet, this sense of gratitude and appreciation for the recent events that have taken place. Wheels are turning, things are moving. I made that happen with a series of tiny movements, and my efforts are blessed.

Last night, I received an email from a cousin in Australia, asking me to let my mother know that her great aunt had passed away. While I did not know this aunt,this has been looming in my mind all day, and causing me to stop and be grateful for the people in my life. Thank you for being in my life, friends!

The Baker needed a few items from some places that he couldn't get to before they closed. He asked if I would mind doing it. I visited a German Deli on Chapman called Mattern Sausage and Meats. What a friendly little place! Last night, to help relieve our fridge of some of the cakes and pies, we had friends over to eat. We got talking about hot dogs and how on occasion, we all crave a good snappy dog. Well, Mattern has these beautiful natural casing "frankfurters." Don't dare call them hot dogs, or you will be corrected (in a friendly sort of way). (Such good franks, I bypassed the hummus and went for steamed cabbage, carrots and oven fries with franks and mustard.)

After Mattern, I went to Restaurant Depot. This is a very surreal place, filled with all sorts of foods, but nothing to eat. Industrial sized cans of this and that line the shelves. My favorite part is a walk in refrigerator that could fit 5 Trader Joe's Markets inside. It is so big, they have to offer coats at the entryway, to prevent their customers from crawling into corners to go to sleep from hypothermia. Inside that fridge is huge loaves of cheese, loaves of lunch meats, whole goats--slaughtered and hanging from their feet, 5 gallon buckets of ice cream, frozen prepared foods of all kinds. It is a bit overwhelming, especially while trying to steer an unwieldy pallet cart--the smallest cart they offer.

When I finally got home this afternoon, I put on my bike gear and.... fell asleep on the couch. I did get out for my 36 mile bike from home to the back bay and back.
There was a huge onshore flow, which required constant vigilance and endurance. It was tough going on the way out, and nice on the way home. My sets happened today, rather than yesterday. Fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment