Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 249: The Why

An older couple wandered into the bakery this morning and found a table before I could help them at the counter. I took their order and chatted with them for a moment. Their food was ready, and I delivered it. As I approached their table, they were engrossed in a rich conversation embossed with gentle hand gestures. They were splitting a Black Forest Ham Sub with a side of macaroni salad.

Food has a unique way of bringing people together. It is one of the most social things we do, in almost any culture.

As a tailor in the theatrical world, I often work in open workrooms. This allows people to converse when we work, sometimes from across the room, more often from across the table. However, when I am home sewing things to sell online, my only company is news radio until I feel like the whole world is in utter chaos and I have to turn it off. oO books on CD if I remember to pick some up at the library. And online social sites, like Facebook.

My hope is/was that as a baker, I would bring people together, and to myself. I like people, generally. I am a nurturer by nature and love to know that someone is enjoying something I made for them, particularly food.

Last weekend, I had determined to give up this baking idea. Perhaps because I was disenchanted by the realities of what some bakers do to cut corners, perhaps because I didn't think it could be successful. Today, with a level head and a little hope, I returned to the bakery and helped. I talked with the baker about what he does and what he hopes to accomplish. He has a rich background in baking beautiful breads. He adds a lot to his menu that he cannot bake himself, but that can fetch a good price. His wallet needs that augmentation to pay off. I have been trying to encourage him to bake the breads that are so natural to him, stick with what you love and you will find success.

So, today, as I was hunting around for inspiration in one of my foodie magazines, I found yet another successful and thriving pie shop in Seattle. Simple. Just good pie. Whole food made with real ingredients, by people who care about quality and passion. Inspiring! I have nothing else lined up for the bulk of this summer and aside from missing an opportunity to go crazy doing absolutely nothing, I have time to build a bakery. And learn a hell of a lot in the process.

This afternoon, I met JE at his work, riding his bike to his work. We mostly ran and walked a bit of 4 miles on the trail near there. It wasn't a strong running day for me, but I did kick butt at Nike Training Club. I forget how much I enjoy that, I was pouring sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment