Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 255: Artichoke, Sweet Artichoke

Of all the food on the planet, can you think of anything that requires as much time and concentration as eating an artichoke? Peeling away the leaves and running them through your teeth, each one individually; gently pulling back the thistle choke to expose that vibrant heart, not to miss a morsel. There is no hurrying an artichoke. And so, at 10:30 this evening, I finally was able to eat dinner--one simple, beautiful artichoke. I stood at the kitchen counter, feeling the need for something not cake or pie but having no patience for boiling noodles. Though I did find time to reheat 3 meatballs. I was afraid to sit down and enjoy my food, for fear that I would be too tired to eat it once I started.

This morning was an early morning. I knew it was going to be a busy day, with all the baking I needed to do. The pool is a very cold place to be at 6:30 in the morning. But I soon warmed up and really enjoyed my short swim.

We rushed to get JE to work, so I could get my shopping done and start baking. The thing with baking isn't necessarily the time spent prepping, but the time spent cooling and finishing. These things I am doing all require so many steps, individual processes that make my products exceptional. There is no hurrying good baking.

I arrived at the wine bar around 3 and was greeted warmly. When I laid my wares on the counter, I realized that I had brought far too much. How could anyone try all of that without feeling sick? Apricot pie, berry pie, zombie bars, coconut cream pie, fresh strawberry pie, hazelnut torte, carrot cake. Yes, I baked my guts out. And it was really well received. The greatest concern is shelf life, because it is all so fresh and doesn't keep long. However, they are totally interested and will be contacting me soon. The Zombie bars were a huge hit. May need to rename them... Posh bars?

I missed my run today, there was no down time, all day. So glad I got my swim in this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment