Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rest day

The LA Triathlon was today. A new acquaintance and inspiration ran in it. I wonder how he did. He runs the race season, and then when his body is built up, he runs as Ironman. The guy has adult kids. Yah, that's how I want to move into my middle age.

In high school, I couldn't run a mile. The first few days of basketball season, the coach practically begged me to join the team. I did! For about 2 weeks. I quit because I hated running, and was never bothered by the coach again. Height really isn't everything in the game, I think I was way too clumsy.

Last night JE and I went up the coast to visit a friend. He wasn't home, so we went down to the Kettle for their famous bread pudding. As I was washing my hands in the bathroom, a tween walked in, saw me, and closing the door leaned against it and openly gawked. "Whoa! You must be really tall!" Most bathroom counters hit me mid thigh, so I practically have to rest my forehead on the mirror to wash my hands. "I am." I said, straightening up. "How tall?" she said. "Six foot three," I said reaching for a paper towel. "WHOA!!! You must be really good at basketball!" Her eyes had gone quite buggy. "Not me, but I ride my bike a lot." "That's so cool! I rode 28 miles on a dirt track once!" she said with a huge proud smile. I asked where she had been on her bike and told her about my bike trip down the coast. The term "Bold as brass" comes to mind. She was great.

Balance

San Onofre State Beach has an abundance of rocks. I love to go there. While most of the beach is sand, there are pockets of smooth, round stones of varying size and shape. Some are thin flat shingles of slate, others are sparking granite. Some of my favorites are white quartz globes. I am a rock stacker, a balancer of stones.

I thought a lot about balance today, and how these three pillars of a triathlon are each so demanding of time, attention, rhythm. When I stack rocks, I can feel the click of balance that allows me to draw my hand away, and the thing stands on it's own.

My body. My mind. My spirit. Each demanding time and attention, balance and rhythm. Today I rested my body (thank you, Heart and lungs. Thank you, legs and arms, neck, feet, organs, eyes, ears mouth and nose!). Today was about spirit.

I spent the bulk of the day at home, engrossed in pajama church. Twice a year my church broadcasts it's General Conference to the world via internet. We watched from this very computer. There is often an unspoken theme with the talks given. Today's was about keeping the commandments. Simple, elegant and to the point.

I recognize that once a week isn't good enough for any of these activities. The triathlon I entered has swimming as the last event. I have a vision which I play in my head of my last lap, hopping out of the pool, I find my Honey, who hugs my sopping wet body and hands me a water bottle and a bouquet of flowers. There are others there too, friends who have come to support me. Unless I finish each event, running, cycling and swimming, this won't happen. If I focus only on one event, this won't happen. Unless I rehearse each event, increase my capacity for each event, this won't happen. I want this to happen! As well as a hoedown later that night, or at least dinner out with friends. I want that. I will make it happen. I will finish this race. It's the same thing I want at the end of my life. I have a vision of what that will be like, too. I want that, more than anything (all in it's due time, of course! Not in a hurry!)

Food wise: 2203 calories. 234 expended on a walk with my lover.

My little sis makes some of the world's best sauteed greens. Here is her recipe:

Saute in 1 Tbl olive oil until translucent:
half a medium onion diced
several cloves of garlic smashed
a pinch of crushed chili
(You can also add a minced slice of bacon or a bit of ham if you prefer)

Add and simmer until reduced to half:
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Add, stir and cover:
1/2 package Trader Joe's Southern Greens
Salt and pepper.
Stir occasionally. Make sure it has enough liquid. Serve on it's own or over polenta

No comments:

Post a Comment