Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 7: Hamstrings

In 280 B.C.E., Chares of Lindos designed and built a statue to the patron god of Rhodes, Helios. The statue was called Colossus of Rhodes and stood 108 feet tall at the mouth of the harbor. It was made of stone and iron and covered with sheets of bronze. It took 12 years to build. It is thought that Chares committed suicide before the completion of the Colossus because he had found a design flaw. The statue failed at the knees during an earthquake after it had stood only fifty-six years. (Despite this fact, it is still known as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.) For hundreds of years afterward, the ruins of the statue were a popular tourist destination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

This statue is popularly depicted as straddling the harbor. I think I understand how he would have felt, had he been made of flesh. I'm not sure if it was yesterday's yoga or the bit of new gym weight magic I performed yesterday. But, did you know I have hamstrings? I sure know it. Boy howdy do I know it!

Food wise: Intake 3045 calories!!! (corn meal and flour sneaked up on me in the corn bread I made to go with my uber lean mixed bean chili! Zowie!) Output: 2614 calories (house cleaning is awesome for burning things up! Who knew?)

3 comments:

  1. get yourself a strap, belt, something to use for stretching those hamstrings. They can really mess with your lower back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you read or watch T.V. (do you have a TV?), sit on the ground with straight legs and just gently stretch them while you relax. You'll be reaching a foot past your toes in no time! YOU ARE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tips. I'm working on it, but oooooh, Youch!

    ReplyDelete