Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 8: Baking Under the Influence

Several weeks ago, JE was working a bunch of overtime to get a massive project finished. I baked a batch of a sort of bar pastry and sent them to work with him to share with his coworkers. One of his coworkers flipped out about these and wanted the recipe. I wrote it out and gave it to him. He became obsessed with learning to make these pastries. Though I gave him detailed directions, he hasn't quite pulled it off--close, but no proverbial cigar.

I baked them again last night and again sent them to work with JE. Excuse my smugness, but I have been summoned to dinner to teach the man my secrets in baking them. (Secrets? What secrets? I have no secrets!)

Apricot Almond Chews:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9"x13" pan with greased parchment.
Melt 1.25 sticks of butter. Add 6 ounces chopped dried apricots (or cherries, or other dried stone fruit), 6 ounces roasted chopped almonds (roast them yourself as the oven is preheating-or other nuts), 1 tsp vanilla, .5 tsp almond extract.
Sift 7 ounces cake flour three times and set aside.
Beat 3 egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy. Slowly add 1.75 cups white sugar and beat until stiff peaks form (about 10-15 minutes). Fold in 1/3 flour until mixed. Fold in 1/2 butter mixture until mixed. Repeat, ending with folding in the last of the flour. Spread into parchment and bake for 40-45 minutes until dry. Cool on a rack. (Sliced into 32 bars= 139 calories and 6 fat grams per bar)

I reserved a few and took them with me as I met David, a new friend and influence, for a training ride this morning (training ride for me, recovery ride for him!). This is the Ironman I spoke of earlier. It was a beautiful day for riding. While talking, I learned that he had lived in India, influenced by the Beatles, and while there had met Mother Theresa of Calcutta. She influenced him to go into medicine. He taught his son to be a surgeon.

What is the sphere of our influence? What propels us? What makes us reach into places unknown? What gives us courage to undertake the huge and seemingly impossible? What gives us the motivation to continue on a chosen path that requires so much diligence?

There is a woman in Lake Arrowhead who began planting daffodil bulbs in 1958. The hillsides around her home are completely covered with huge golden swaths of daffodils. She planted them herself, one at a time for years and years. This is her story:
http://rimoftheworld.net/columns/neufeld/painting

She has influenced thousands of people. There are dozens of websites dedicated to this particular garden and experience. This one is in Australia:
http://www.bankofideas.com.au/Downloads/Daffodil_Principle.pdf

If my tiny influence of baked goods can affect someone to learn and perfect a recipe, what else am I capable of? Here I sit, trying to reconcile my two greatest passions: cycling and food. I am learning that just simply having a passion and living life according to that passion can be a force of influence in the world. Neat!

Foodwise: Intake 2846 calories (which includes three cookie bars), output: 1982 calories (on a 30 mile bike ride). It may be time for a new bike, something that can keep up...

No comments:

Post a Comment