Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 13: Tunnels

Technically the pool wasn't open this morning as we turned the key in the lock. There were no lights to illuminate our swim practice, and the sun wasn't up yet.

Technically, after only four hours of sleep, I could have been justified staying in bed that extra hour to sleep (justified by whom?). I actually tried to stay in bed, but my brain was summoning my body into motion. No sense fighting inert will power. Besides, I have a race to run--in something like 135 days! Yikes!

The King of Sharks fell in love with a mortal woman. He changed himself into a man and married the woman. Nanave was the son of the King of Sharks and that mortal woman. As a young man, Nanave swam in the waterfall beside his mother's hut where he would disappear for hours. He often asked the local fisherman where they were headed to fish that day. Nanave would disappear into the waterfall. Eventually the local fisherman were unable to catch any fish and decided they had a bad god among them. A tricky little test proved that Nanave was that bad god. He was chased to the waterfall where he disappeard. Nanave's father, the King of Sharks, had created a tunnel from the waterfall into the sea.

If I had a tunnel running from my pool to the sea, could I get there? Not in one breath. Swimming today was great. I'm working on slowing my stroke and making it more effective. I'm also working on kicking.

When bowling, there is a four-step pattern. Swimming has the same sort of thing-6 kicks to one stroke and a breath on every third stroke. This and keeping my head slightly down, my tail up, and my arms reaching to roll from the waist. I want this to become mechanical, ingrained in my muscle memory. With my bike still in the shop and my Achilles tendons still tender, swimming and yoga are all I've got for the present.

Foodwise: Intake 2623 calories. JE showed up at my work this morning with a loaf of Boudin Sourdough bread still warm from the oven. I think it must have been a bit torturous for a couple of my coworkers who are on low carb diets. In fact, K. had been making verbal lists of the foods he wanted most only an hour previously. Warm sourdough with a dollop of butter topped the list. Poor guy!
Output: 849 in the pool and on the mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment