Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 15: Risks

While filling a prescription this afternoon, JE eavesdropped on a conversation between Random Guy and Pharmacist. Random was talking about the dosage of some drug he was taking and trying to convince Pharmacist that he needed a higher dose. Pharmacist was recommending a change of diet and exercise to combat whatever problem Random was dealing with. The pills came with several health warnings and Random was complaining about severe cramping. Pharmacist mentioned that the drugs he was taking cost more than a new gym membership and the gym carried less risk. Random insisted that there were too many risks at the gym, he could slip and fall on the treadmill and that would cost way more money. Pharmacist prescribed walking, but Random again insisted that he couldn't do that either. In desperation, the Pharmacist turned to Random's wife imploring "Do you think you could help him with that?" Random's wife responded, pointing to Random, "I'm not the issue here!"

At work Tuesday I commented on a student's bike. "Thanks, I just got it. My other bike got wrecked when I got hit by a car." She had been going the wrong way through an intersection instead of riding with traffic. She got the ticket, and really bruised up.

Yesterday at work, I was talking to a coworker who's good friend had been in a very bad bike wreck. She was running in a crosswalk and was hit by 2 cyclists who ran a stop sign. She is almost OK now, but it messed up her brain and she has no sense of taste.

Today at work, while talking with Katie, I discovered that her boyfriend had been hit by a car while on his bike. The driver didn't see him. He is OK, but his bike was shattered. The car windshield was broken out.

All this info in one week. I have had several close calls with cars who weren't paying attention--texting, distracted, eating or just not looking. I feel really cautious and my alert level has increased tremendously. The thought of getting hit by a car is utterly terrifying to me. It makes every safe ride a sweet little gift. These recent tales of doom move me to be more cautious, but not paranoid. I love being out there on my bike.

The community that I live in has amazing designated bike trails and fortunately a lot of my commute is off the road on these trails. However even on trails I'm careful. One of the worst accidents I have seen was on a boardwalk in Huntington Beach. The guy had no helmet. Yah, wear your helmets please folks. You just never know...

Foodwise: Intake 2658 calories with date night shrimp plate at Baja Fish Tacos. Shouldn't have had the freaking chips! Output: 1005 calories. I battled it out for half an hour in the pool this morning. I think my ability to maintain a pace is getting better, though I still have a lot of timing issues. I need to find the rhythm. Otherwise my cycle commute rocked! Even in the rain.

2 comments:

  1. WOW ... but I'm a strong believer that if you're careful and cautious, what will happen will just happen. You can be at home and get hurt just as easily as you can be out doing something you enjoy and get hurt. I hope all these news items don't affect you negatively in any way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to talk about making everyone ride a motorcycle at least once in their life so they could experience what that vulnerability feels like. The only offense youhave is being alert and expecting those tank drivers to do the dumbest thing imaginable!

    ReplyDelete