Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 27: Stephanie

This reminds me of that video they showed in Seminary of that kid playing soccer who falls down and hurts his knee. The pain doesn't go away and he finds out he has bone cancer.
JE finishes playing guitar and gets up for a drink of water. I am missing my chamomile tea tonight. We just found out that JE's oldest sister, Stephanie, has cancer.

Stephanie discovered aerobics before thongs were worn over tights as exercise apparel. She grew up loving aerobics. Her enthusiasm and fun personality encouraged a lot of followers and she was able to teach for a number of years. I met her just before she stopped teaching because of chronic pain.

Stephanie has always been in love with life. Anyone suggested a fun activity and Stephanie was there. One summer JE and I went tubing on the Provo River with Steph and her kids. As we pulled out of the water the Heber Creeper was rolling by with tourist leaning out waving. Steph turned to me and said
I'll give you twenty bucks if you moon them.
I didn't, I was afraid of a felony charge.

Last Christmas we spent time with Steph's family in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. When their family bought their house in PV, it came fully furnished and included a set of rather loud, resin chickens. Steph wanted to get rid of them, so bad. We chose a tall black and white rooster to take into the city with us and took photos of him everywhere. Her laugh kills me!

When I spoke with Steph on the phone the other day and she told me her news, she spoke about the people who love her. She is such a great example of the power of positivity and the ability to overcome. I know she will fight magnificently. I know it will be a tough battle, but she will see the beauty in it.

It is easy to take health for granted. It is easy to take family for granted... Let me not be found ungrateful for either. It has been a tough year, and at times I am still getting my head around it. It's time to amend, to take that step back into arms that love me. They need me, I need them. This is more difficult than running.

But I do run, and find myself looking forward to it. This mornings run was amazing. I tacked on a couple extra minutes and tried to run happy--with bounce.

2 comments:

  1. From your description, I can tell that not only is Stephanie awesome and brave and strong and funny enough to battle well, but she also has enough love from her family to beat it three times over. I'm glad you are seeing this news as a challenge for yourself to live life with gusto! RUN. For Stephanie. And Iris, too.

    ReplyDelete