Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 28: The Beard

"Will you tell me stories about your beard?" I asked JE tonight. Since mid-September, he has been growing a beard--The Beard. It all began with an innocent: "We could go as Paul Bunyan and Babe for Halloween," and suddenly JE had a full blown Paul Bunyan beard. Or a "Jesus-Beard" as Justin called it tonight.

I had just returned from a 50 mile bike ride to the car parked at JE's work, when JE and Justin pulled up. Mid conversation I commented on Justin's facial hair (Why must we comment on facial hair?). JE and Justin exchanged knowing looks and told me about Random Guy. "Dude!!! You got some serious fuzz growing there," says Random Guy who walks back and forth in front of JE staring hard at The Beard. Random Guy's own long beard wagging back and forth with excitement. "How long are you going to grow it?" asked Random Guy. JE tells him that since I like The Beard, it's tempting to keep it. "DUUUUDE! You got the job! You got the girl! Pretty much that entitles you to Facial Hair Freedom!"

This is not the only conversation about JE's beard I've heard about. The Beard has been tauted as "transformative," "The last frontier of manliness," and "pretty." All by men. JE's mom hates the thought of The Beard. "Shave it as soon as you can!" Apparently Dad had a mustache once that drove her crazy.

At work, I needed to do some specialty equipment I have at home, so I was able to leave early and take the long way home. The really really long way home. The ocean was glassy and perfect with completely clear views of Catalina Island. I rode to the end of Bolsa Chica and back. It was dark before I finished.

I didn't realize how many people are out there after dark. This was the maiden voyage of a new bike light. Good to know I can find my way around. I passed night runners who were grunting with effort, which made me realize how much more effort I could put into my workouts. I will strive for that.

JE and Justin had eaten at Curry House on Culver and Walnut in Irvine. JE took me there where I devoured an entire platter of Katsu. Long rides do that to me. Ready for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment