Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 30: Dia de los Muertos

We are driving home right now after attending the dia de los Muertos celebration at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. It's the only time I have ever paid to enter a cemetery. We arrived while it was still light out and could see the elaborate alters decorated in the graveyard. Flowers, food, candles, dioramas, skulls, skeletons, and most importantly photographs of deceased loved ones. Some were huge and elaborate, others were simple and understated. Each told a story, each was a reminder of at least one life. What a beautiful tradition.


Before we walked in the gates we could hear drumming. Dancers in ancient and huge feather headdresses were dancing to drums just inside the cemetery gates. There were other dancers and bands throughout the cemetery.




When we set out this afternoon, we weren't sure what to expect. Though there were a lot of people in costume, the atmosphere wasn't a Halloween party. It was more somber, like walking through a museum. Some of the costumes were amazing.






As was the food. All things Mexican. Pan Dulce, agua fresca, churros, fruit on a stick with chili and lime, sopas the Dastrups couldn't finish, and more. I had a hand made thick tortilla with al pastor. Je had a bacon wrapped hot dog with grilled veggies. It was awesome.





This morning I woke up hankering to run. We had talked about driving to the beach to run down there, but the car battery was dead. I asked JE if he would mind if I ran while he dealt with the car. The man is a saint. When I got back, he was just returning from getting a battery and a new clutch for the washing machine. Like I said, a saint

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is interesting. Good job on running! and you are both saints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina

    I meant to write about my favorite alter we ran into by accident. We were sitting in the mausoleum where Dia de los Muertos art was displayed on easels, listening to a flamenco band and watching people. The wall behind us was glassed in niches for urns and remembrances. Between the glassed in niches there was a low shelf and on that shelf was a makeshift alter. There was a can of beer, a can of yams, a die, marbles, and several letters. One in particular caught my attention. It was on yellow legal paper and in large handwriting a man told his dad about his live, his love and a woman named Cathy who cooks for him. It was really sweet and left me in tears. Lots about last night left me in tears. Dying doesn't suck. Dealing with someone else dying sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely wanna go to this some year - so cool! Did you take more photos that just those? If so, I wanna see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie,
    I took a couple more of some costumes. Unfortunately all I had was my phone, and it was really dark. The alters were hard for me to photograph as I felt a little like a stupid tourist bulldozing over sacred rites--especially in my blue wig. There were families of the dead at each shrine, and I meant no disrespect.

    ReplyDelete