Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 5: Rain

I grew up in Washington State, where rain doesn't make the news. Waking up today and seeing the overcast sky made me nostalgic for evergreens hills dotted with brilliantly colored broad leaf trees and mist rising from rivers. This morning, we ran through golden fields on a dirt track and startled coyotes. They ran ahead on the trail and quickly disappeared into the brush.

In the past several month, I have found myself more in tune with the natural world than perhaps any other time in my life. Coyote, birds, skunks, whales, dolphins, sea lions. Who knew there would be so much of the natural world around this huge metropolis.

I spend a whole lot of time on my own these days. I think it's time to start peopling my world again.

Food wise: Calories in 2871. Calories out 561 on a 45 minute run/walk. I wonder how many calories I burned thinking about going swimming in the rain?
I made an awesome easy dinner: Stir fried chicken, with zucchini and onions with brown short grain rice topped with roasted almonds.

4 comments:

  1. I wish it was easier for me to join you. I am free on M, W & F mornings from 8:30 to 11:00 if you ever want a tag-along. I have a better bike now, but you know you'll skunk me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have just gone for the swim! that is what we would do up here in Washington. :-P

    You are amazing! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Colleen, I start work next week, but would otherwise love to!
    I was afraid of turning into a mermaid! Ha!

    ReplyDelete