Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 11: Weigh in

Way back in 1861, Pierre Michaux added pedals to the front wheel of Mr. von Drais's 2 wheeled Dandy Horse and invented the Velocipede. It was made of cast iron and later wrought iron which was stronger. These contraptions came to be known as "boneshakers," because there were no springs or shocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneshaker

People went crazy for it! A race was held in 1869 from Paris to Rouen (about 75 miles or 120 km), that was won in just under 11 hours.

Today I completed 69 miles on my velocipede in under 6 hours, half of it into a gusty headwind. There are amazing things out there to notice, including: a guy on a bike with 2 large green parrots on his handlebars, a horse-drawn hot-rod, 7 fully loaded cycle-tourists (jealous), the Queen Mary, and a huge pod of dolphins playing in the surf. I watched them along the coast for a mile and some. Hundreds and hundreds of dolphins!!!



There is a restaurant in Huntington beach called The Secret Spot. I often stop there for their vegan chocolate chip cookies. They are good fuel to get home with. Today was a two cookie day. At the end of my ride, I was so tired and hungry, I blacked out and got woozy every time I stood up. (JE to the rescue!)

Foodwise: Intake 3974 calories (1300 of which was from a carne asada salad from Chipotle, and that wasn't even with the salad dressing!) Output: 5363 calories (Besides cycling 69 miles, I also swam for 45 minutes this morning.) According to Mynetdiary.com if I keep up with this kind of activity and eating, I will loose about 1.2 pounds daily, or 35 pounds per month. Good luck with that.

As it is, since my last weigh in, I have lost 1.5 pounds, weighing 222.9 pounds this morning. And I feel pretty darn good about that!

2 comments: