Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 17: Rest Day

This morning on our way down to my Gram's we passed a wreck. When it rains in Southern California, the freeways become danger zones. JE drives quite gingerly having had a couple bad scares with cars loosing control next to or in front of him.

At 91, my grandmother is incredible. She has an indomitable spirit and a positive outlook on life. Or she always has. I heard the first signs of fatigue in her today. She fell about a week and a half ago, nothing broken. She hurt her leg and hasn't been feeling well since, though through our visit today she never complained or led on about her discomfort.

My Gram is one of the original adventure foodies. She and my Gramp cooked together. I fondly remember Greek salads and homemade Japanese spicy pickles. I have a few of their old cookbooks, most came with handwritten notes in the margins. One of my favorites was written by Vincent and Mary Price called "A Treasury of Great Recipes." Excellent photos. I recently found a recipe from their travels to Africa handwritten by Gramp.

The things she remembers most from her travels are the unique meals and the people. When China opened it's doors to Western tourism, my grandparents were on the first plane over. Everyone in their tour group was served birthday cake every morning for breakfast, a little translation mix up with coffee cake. Some of her tour mates carried spoons in case they couldn't eat with chop sticks.

I asked her recently what her favorite thing she ever learned was, she answered with an immediate and enthusiastic, "People! Gosh, they're all just so interesting." I love my Gram.

Foodwise: Intake 2741 mostly taken from a robust "crab feast" at the Fisherman on San Clemente pier with JE and BC--Congrats BC! Locals: if you like seafood, this is a fabu place to spend a romantic evening or special occasion. It is literally on the pier directly above the crashing waves below. The Crab Feast is a four course leisurely meal. The last course is a pallet of snow, king and dungeness crab served with rice pilaf and steamed vegetables. Seriously check it out! http://www.thefishermansrestaurant.com/ Output: what ever it takes to break the meat from half a dungeness, half a snow and two huge king crab legs. Yup, life is good. (Until tomorrow when I have to weigh in... Yikes!)

4 comments:

  1. You my friend are a lot like your Grams. You are so full of life and are amazing with people. I would say you got their adventure bug also. :)
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Gram too. I'm glad she is doing ok, heard about the fall from my granny yesterday, she's been really worried about her. I think it is a super idea to collect recipes from countries we visit! I'll try to remember that next time I am offered mystery food :) Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, I don't think you could give me a bigger compliment! Thanks!!!
    I spoke with Gram today. her voice when she answered had so much more vigor in it. In reply to how she was feeling she said, "100 percent better." So glad she is feeling better. She loved all the fun foods we took down to her too. She said she felt like a kid in a candy store. She loved the gingerbread!
    I think I may need to start keeping that on hand at all times. It is proving to be a miracle cure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about your gram! I hope that she feels better very soon. Also very happy you didn't get into a wreck.

    ReplyDelete