Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 150: Take aways

At the event yesterday, the committee prepared a little goodie bag for participants to take away. That goodie bag contained things like energy bars, fruity water, replenishing powder, fig newtons, coupons, business cards and samples of pain relieving gel.

But there is so much more I will take away from this experience. Here are some examples of those "things."

Success has a plan. Goals can be accomplished simply by following a plan. While I'm not sure how far to pursue this triathlon thing, I've been feeling like I overshot my initial mark. The training and preparation I did for the Race on the Base was more than that race required, however, there are other races. We upped the ante and are currently seeking an Olympic distance triathlon to participate in this summer. We have some ideas, but nothing set in stone yet.

Knowing I can do something, and having done something before, is hugely motivating when that thing is difficult to accomplish on any given day. Yesterday, when running was difficult, I kept telling myself that I had done this thing before, and I could do it again.

Positivity enables positivity. On the run yesterday, we had a quarter mile left. I was feeling good about the distance left, but my hips were so tight and I really wanted to walk it. I saw a woman walking and clapping my hands, told her 'Let's go! You can do this, it's only a quarter mile! Let's go!' She picked up her run and shouted her thanks. People need encouragement sometimes, and it is so easily given.

Food is so important. It is a needful thing, a pleasure, and it can bring people together. The past few weeks has taught me (again) the relationship between what I want to do and what I eat. My life has revolved around what I'm doing vs what I'm eating. What I eat, fuels what I do. I still love baked goods and chocolate and the occasional potato chip, but those are the exception, not the norm.

Friends are everywhere! There are amazing people everywhere, doing all sorts of things. So cool.

If you want to do something, but don't know how to do it, ask someone. Or go online, or read a book, or take a class, or join a club. Knowledge is everywhere, and is easily attained.

Dedicating actions to a greater good, allows that greater good to have a place within your heart.

Gratitude changes everything, especially perspective.

Celebrate accomplishments with friends and family.

Training with a buddy is more motivating than solo.

My training partner, my sweet JE, is amazing.

Laugh, lots, at yourself. It's far more fun than crying about something.


Plan for the week

Monday: AM: run 5K (I'm working... still)
PM: Grocery shopping
Dinner: At the wholesome Choice Food Court

Tuesday: AM Easy 1.5 mile lap, Sets--upper body, cycle to work
PM: Swim 800 yds
Dinner:
One dish chicken, kale, potatoes

Wednesday: AM 2.5 mile run, dynamic stretching sets, cycle to work
PM: bored stupid and wondering what on earth to do with ourselves
Dinner: Homemade Pizza

Thursday: AM: Ride the Back Bay
PM: Swim 800 Yds
Dinner: Thai curry

Friday: Run 3.5 miles, Sets--upper body, Bike to work
PM: ???
Dinner: Paella (maybe...)

Saturday: Bike ride--do something fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment