Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 145: Intention

Tonight at our training class, someone asked what I did before I started training. They completely stumped me. I was sitting on the stationary bike, muttering, 'I can't remember... What did I do?' JE was at a loss, also.

I've been thinking a lot about the things I'm looking forward to after this is all done. My mental list includes things like: staying warm in bed past the alarm, reading, getting together with friends more often, strolling, lackadaisical bike rides, spontaneity, writing for myself (no offense, I'm extremely flattered that so many people tune in--Thank YOu!!!).

And the things I might miss: my new muscly body, the way my clothes have (or haven't) been fitting, eating anything and having very little guilt, my drive to go, this crazy business, these awesome mornings and evening workouts, purpose and a plan, calibration, moving my body and improving those movements.

But I don't think this is the end. Life is liquid, we fill it with flavor and drink it in. I'm wondering what the next flavor I will choose will be like. Gatorade for the soul.

JE took my bike to the shop today. Josh did a bunch of work and flipped my handlebars. It's sort of funny how incredibly different the attitude of Little Red is; she looks so much more aggressive than before! I'm wondering if I seem like that to my friends? Here is a quote a friend left me on Facebook: "You will DESTROY that race! You will be like GODZILLA on Tokyo, like Roger Ebert on a Rob Schneider film, like Zeus raining lightning down from Olympus! Or you'll just give it your best and feel INCREDIBLE about tackling a challenge of this magnitude." Of course I'm still laughing about that, but it does make me wonder. My hope is to finish the race--not last.

Sometimes when I exercise, I have to set my intention before I begin: to finish the distance or time, to quicken my pace, to achieve more balance, to release that stress or tension. It's very personal, and I can't share it until I accomplish it. But having that aim in mind, before I start, has been a major contributor of improving myself physically.

JE has been looking into Ironman races. I've been threatening to buy race skates. The world is our skate park!

No comments:

Post a Comment