Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 142: Electric

While cruising northern Taiwan, JE and I stumbled into a hot springs resort. We checked in and made ourselves at home. The back of the hotel, was a mass of small swimming pools, all filled with geothermal water. Some smelled strongly of sulfur, others were carbonated. Some were very hot, others were cold. There were floral scented pools and vats of tea for soaking. All afternoon, we went from one pool to the next, repeating favorites and visiting the charcoal heated steam room. That night, we treated ourselves to a foot massage. Except that it wasn't really a treat. It hurt, really really really hurt. That was my first experience with reflexology. We winced and limped our way back to the comfort of one of the couples pools, overlooking a very scenic view of misty mountains.

After our run and cycle extravaganza this morning, we were looking for reflexology, to help massage out some of these cramps in our legs. We had eaten breakfast with new friend Jen and two of her kids (Hof's Hut--decent omelets and sausage). Next door the restaurant we found a storefront with a small lobby and a few reflexology charts. We wandered in and discovered that, yes, they did reflexology, however a full body massage was only $20. In like Flynn, as they say.

I have to admit, it was not a western type of massage--HE used hot rocks and rolled them down my spine--The storefront was sectioned off by curtains--people walked by (on the curtained corridor) to the nail clinic at the rear of the shop. It was awesome, but if you are looking for private, comfortable, same-sex massage, this isn't your ticket. If you are looking for real reflexology, this isn't your ticket, either. Decent massage at an unreal price? Awesome. Just be prepared to pay $5 as a tip. You will be asked for it and made to feel really guilty if all you have is $4.

The run/ride this morning was really challenging and really fun at the same time. Getting my legs to work after riding a bike is difficult! I'm really glad I was able to rest yesterday. I think that helped. As we were running through one glade, I saw a bluebird. It surprised me, with its brilliance. As I passed that area again, I notice there were dozens of them flitting in the trees. On the far side of the park, a group of radio controlled airplane pilots were flying their craft. A great blue heron stood in the midst of them, just standing and watching. Weird, this interaction of man and wild.

My man is sitting on the porch right now, watching it rain. Electrical storms in southern California are a treat for us transplants. I love them. And I love him. Gotta go be with my man. G'night all.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. Electrical storms are my favorite. :) I still want to see JE's super cool new bike.

    ReplyDelete