Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 144: Pillaged

Tonight at dinner, JE thought he could save me, by whirling my lumpy bechamel in the blender. No such luck, I had to start over. It was well worth it, melting cheese into it to top our roasted potatoes, was nigh to heavenly. Or, perhaps I was just really hungry.

I'm supposed to be taking it a bit easy this week, let myself recuperate from Saturday's work out and let the glycogen build up in my muscles again. But how could I possibly pass an opportunity to have a half day at work, and hit the trail on my bike. Thirty-two miles later, with a bit of extra sun on my legs and face, I feel amazing.

Finished with my ride, I rode to JE's work, just as he was getting off. We rode off into the sunset and found our favorite orange tree, full to bursting with beautiful, small Valencias. We transferred all of my civilian wear into one pannier and filled the other with oranges. JE set the pace and I struggled to keep up, blaming my long journey and low blood sugar for my slowdown. When we got to the car, I unloaded the panniers from my bike. We pillaged about 20 pounds of oranges. We'll eat them this week and this weekend after the race.

It had been sunny and bright for my entire ride, but there was a definite chill. I'd wondered many times if I should put on a jacket, but was too enthralled with being in the sun, to do anything about it. When I got to the car and sat down is when I realized how cold I'd gotten.

When we got into the swimming pool, for the first 3 laps, I felt like a cold bubble was surrounding me. My entire body was covered in goosebumps and I couldn't stop shivering. My head was trying to play mind games with me and tell me that I was too tired to do any more laps. I pushed forward, and swam my half mile, even practicing my entry into the pool--feet first.

Cold and exhaustion are the best seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment