Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 133: Full Circle

About the last thing I really want to be doing right now, is blogging.

Yes, we swam tonight, and rode this morning. We did some of those sets, that we said we would do, but discovered afterward that we spaced them far too close together. I worked, all hell has broken loose there, and I am tired.

About a year ago, I sat in a medical clinic with a woman who told me earth-shattering news. While I am not altogether comfortable disclosing the whole of it here, it was devastating for me. It has been a difficult year, trying to overcome the emotional scars left from that visit.

This morning, in the same office, in the same room, I met the same woman. This visit was much more casual, and far less dramatic. I was hoping that she wouldn't recognize me, but she did. To change the subject, I talked about my training. She wondered if I cycled alone. She stated that she was afraid of the, "you know, the boogie man." I told her that I have a theory about the boogie man, and told her about my solo cycle tour. With tears in her eyes, she started talking about how she used to bike 25-30 miles a day, but that she had forgotten how much she loved it. She was going to go get her bike tuned.

Because of the events in my life that I found out about in that office a year ago, I have done some extraordinary things that now have the influence to change someone's life. That is the first good thing I have seen to come out of that.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Iris. I am so sad for your struggle and so inspired by your responses to it and to life. No matter what, you are living in it. Thank you for not giving up.

    (also you are an amazing writer, I love to come to your blog to see what metaphors for life you have to share each day, so blog on)

    ReplyDelete