Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 159: Onesie day

A year ago, I woke up with a happy dream. I was standing in the middle of a huge field of white flowers, collecting star jasmine and sweet peas to celebrate "Onesie Day," a day to commemorate the unique singularity of each individual on earth.

So, Happy Onesie Day! You are unique, and wonderful in that uniqueness. Every soul on earth has a purpose and is important. Thank you for being you!

Today was fun. With the need to celebrate the individual on my mind, I set off on one of my long bike rides. There are several people I see regularly on my trail. There is a woman who looks like she could have been a Sex Pistols groupie. She is 60ish, has short black spiky hair and heavy black eyeliner. Around the same time everyday, she is on the trail, walking with a harsh solid gait that tells a lot of tales. Her ears are always plugged with ear buds which emanate loud punk music. The punk in me is drawn to her, but she never looks up to make eye contact, chewing her gum. One day I was on my bike headed the opposite direction she was walking. I was perhaps 30 feet from her when her arms reached up, she skipped and danced for 2 steps. And that was it, just that touch of magic, that jubilation of being alive and moving.

Around the Back Bay in Newport Beach, there is often a man with an unbalanced run: one leg dragging a bit behind as he runs. I've often wondered about him, he is there so often when I am: is he a stroke victim? An accident? MS? I don't know, but I see him hash it out, striving-thriving. He is an older man with a gray ponytail. He gives me courage and inspires me. Today, I saw him on his bike-headed inland, as I was headed to the sea; he was complete, no imbalance, just ease.

When I got to the Pacific Coast Highway, I saw a car full of young women wearing rainbow curly wigs and funny noses.


On the Boardwalk in Huntington Beach, I frequently encounter a man on a recumbent tricycle. His name is Carmine and he has been riding the boardwalk everyday for 11 years. He said he was in New Hampshire, but it was too cold.



Everywhere I look, I see people with remarkable stories. So many people with so much joy and sadness, all just doing the best they can with what they have. It's such a beautiful life.

When I got home, I was desperately hungry. There was a box of cereal on the counter, so I poured and covered it with fresh, sliced banana and pecans. I went to lay in bed for a few and woke up 2 hours later. I guess I'm out of shape to be doing my 50 mile bike rides.

When JE got home, we put on our suits and went for a swim. 22 laps (880 yards), plus the warm up and cool down.

We made our Thai curry this evening using a different coconut milk than our usual (something I bought on sale a while back--by the case). Chaokoh brand coconut milk is so rich and creamy! So superior to Nuoc Cot Dua. Also, Shrimp and snowpeas were on sale, so our table was graced.

My calorie deficit today is over 3,000 calories--that is an entire cake. Just can't do it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that calorie deficit is amazing!

    How much do I love those girls in the clown wigs and noses? What fun they must have been having. Love you even more though because you took a photo of them!!

    ReplyDelete