Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 170: Bobcat

We slept today--like the dead. It was almost 1 am when we rolled out of bed bed and made breakfast. This is perhaps the tenth time in my life of doing this.

We rode our bikes with the intention of riding south to Oceanside, catching the train back home. We got to the water station in Woods Canyon and turned around and came back. On the way through woods canyon, we spotted an animal on the road ahead of us, lackadaisically making its way along the pavement. The long legs and puffed tail bespoke bobcat. We followed for several yards before it heard us and lazily made for the underbrush. I had time to grab my phone and take a shot with my camera. This was a lifer. We also spotted a kingfisher along the way back, this too, was a lifer. So cool.


Around the year 1982, my family took a road trip to Lester, Washington. It was a tiny village on a road that was far too long and windy. On the way, we spotted a large animal making its way down the road. It had a short, tufted tail, and big tufts on its ears and face. Its coat was paler than the bobcat we saw today, and much bigger. We learned that it was a lynx, one of the more rare wild cats on this continent. I've often wondered the difference between bobcat and a lynx. I also just learned that the tiny town of Lester is actually now a ghost town. I wonder where the family is that we visited there (the town consisted of 6 families, 24 people total).


Tonight we went to the opening of Private Lives at Laguna Playhouse. Interesting show, lots of people laughing in the audience. It is a show about two couples who are on their honeymoons at a hotel, they share a balcony. It turns out that one partner in each marriage had been married and divorced--to each other. It was well played, the costumes were beautiful. I'm just not very comfortable with anger and couples fighting all night. So not what my marriage/life is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment