Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 173: California

There are things I love about California. Lots of things, like year round outdoor recreation, the sea, the infinite possibilities for professional growth. Oh, wait... This state has a laws against selling food manufactured in a home kitchen. There are no allowances for cottage industry. My pie business is bunk, unless these laws are changed. I haven't been able to figure out a way to start small that will allow me to grow into a commercial kitchen. It is so expensive and elusive to find and rent a commercial kitchen. I am perfectly willing to abide laws, be inspected, use good food handling practices, pay taxes, but there is no allowance for this in California. Grrrr!!! So many other states have this figured out, why is California so far behind?

If you live in California, please sign this petition. It will enable small business to take place here.

Running this morning was just plain strange. My back has been spazzing, so I took a muscle relaxer before bed. On waking, my thoughts were alert, but my speech felt slurred and lazy. My legs ran on memory alone, there was no will power, they just knew what to do and did it. Very strange. When I got home, I showered and dressed and crawled back to bed. It was almost noon before I got up, and even then I was still groggy. What is happening to me? Geesh!

This arvo, I went online looking up what is required to have a bakery, here in the OC. As previously stated, prognosis is not good. What to do?

Swimming tonight: 30 laps. My last 5 laps, JE and I started at the same time. I pulled ahead, pretending to race him, then decided to turn him into a shark. Each time I looked back, I pretended he was a shark. I doubt if I have ever swam that fast in the past. I finished a full length and a half before he finished. Good fun!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is lame. I wonder why they don't have allowances for cottage industries. That sure doesn't make sense. Have you talked to any food trucks? Maybe they have some good ideas because they are obviously doing it differently than in a big kitchen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aimee! I think there is a lot if illegal stuff happening. Big umbrella law forces people to find other means of doing the things they need to do. We followed a little truck pulling a little trailer with a cook top and a table on it. The trailer was spray painted to say: Tacos and then the phone number. No way was that legal!

    ReplyDelete