Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 161: Eggs and Birds

I worked today, down in Laguna Beach. With the sea so tantalizingly close, it was hard to keep my lunch break within the allotted time. It's a good thing we got our ride in earlier, with the view of the sea and the Back Bay. Twenty six miles.

There is a nature center at the mouth of the road that winds around the Back Bay. On a tall wooden pole, is a platform where osprey nest. A couple years ago, I was told that this place was the only known place in southern California where osprey nest. Apparently, the birds were knocked out by DDT decades ago, and only recently have been making a come back.

At Elbow Lake in Oregon, I was privileged to see a dozen or more osprey gliding overhead, chirping in the trees, hunting and diving into the lake. It was so cool to be part of that: I stood on the side of the road, straddling my bike, eating the last of my bread. My heart soars with birds.

Swimming tonight. Twelve hundred eighty yards.

Lately, my appetite has been a bit bunk. Low blood sugar is not a mood lifter, and sometimes I don't recognize that as the problem. I get grumbly and impatient, and rather than eat something to fix the problem, I walk away and find something else to do. After we swam tonight, I knew I needed to eat, but couldn't muster the energy to make anything. Eggs to the rescue. Rice is easy. And those snowpeas made a simple stirfry with an onion and garlic. It was so pure and good. Just what I needed.

Now for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment