Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 180: Frenchies (is that PC?)

Sleep is so precious these days. Not sleeping well and not having to get up for anything in particular makes for difficult mornings. We slept late, almost 8, then blasted through the morning rituals. Our bikes were both at JE's work, so he drove while I ate cereal from a giant bowl.

On my way around the back bay, just as I was topping a hill when I heard a few bikes come up from behind. Without turning around, I stood in my saddle, tucked my knees and hunched over the handlebars as I gained speed on the quick decent. I topped out at 32 mph. When I turned around there were no bike behind me.

It took a couple miles for them to catch me. Three men with foreign accents on bikes, all in shorts and t-shirts. Tourists and from a cooler clime. They passed, saying hello, and remained not far in front of me, until I ran into them again on the PCH, debating which way their directions were telling them to go. I stopped and asked where they were headed. Balboa. After giving them instructions, I headed north on the PCH and rode up the coast.

At the Secret Spot, I ordered my usual Billy's scramble ( I either need to order that thing with half the chips, or find something else--way too much food! I threw 3/4 the chips away) After eating, I spoke with a woman who had moved here from Oregon years ago. She was complaining about our cold weather. Hmmm. Not as cold as Oregon!

On the return trip, when I got to the Newport pier, I spotted three friendly, smiling faces. Those same foreigners, waving hello. I joined up with them for a while, chatting and exchanging jokes. They all are from France and work for Air France. They have been here in Orange County for 5 days. One of them, Gilles, is a triathlete--an iron man. Yah, it was that kind of day. Super fun!

Total ride: 50 miles. And I swam my 20 laps. This rest week thing may or may not work. So far it sort of feels a bit like a free for all. JE ran 5 MILES today during his lunch. We are so in the forward motion of adding volume that to go backward feels stagnant.

Tendinitis is killing me all day. Gimpy legged.

Going to bed with a 2,000+ calorie deficit, and I still feel fat...

4 comments:

  1. Hey you- I just read this article, I think in Time? Magazine about how exercising to lose weight being really counterproductive and a mythical invention of modern medicine. Because exercise makes your body so much more hungry and depletes will power it is actually more difficult to lose weight when exercising heavily. So just think about how strong you are getting and forget about the weight thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cori! Agreed

    It wasn't about weight so much as my Grover belly and muffin top. I stopped weighing in months ago when I realized my clothes were all baggy, and my weight was the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a fun bike ride! I love how you are always meeting interesting people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a fun place to meet people. I love to meet new people. It fuels my need to travel, though! Garg!

    ReplyDelete