Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 174: Wind and Worry

It is pouring rain outside right now. Earlier this evening, I was waiting for JE to show up for dinner. Everything was ready. I had left the house earlier today, driven the car to a nearby park (we live on the other side of a busy freeway entrance--not a fun place to ride over in the dark), and took off from the park via bicycle to meet JE for lunch. Our route took us up the Peter's Canyon Trail.

After lunch, JE went back to work, I headed toward Santiago Canyon. I rode the wind getting up to the canyon, but when I turned onto Santiago Canyon Road, the headwind was gusty. It was beautiful and sunny out when I started my ride, but that wind was moving a storm-bank into the area really fast. The temperature dropped about 10 degrees and I was so glad I had worn my screaming yellow jacket, at first as sun protection, later as a shield from the cold.

At Cooks Corner, I followed the bike trail back into my area. Even though the wind was against me, it was one heck of a fast, fun ride. Total mileage=36 miles.

I got home and started making dinner. Our menu called for Chinese Chicken Salad, but no way was I going out to pick up those ingredients. After foraging the fridge, I discovered fixings for Borscht. That and a quick rye bread, studded with golden sultanas, apricots, and sunflower seeds. Tasty.

Now, back to my JE...

He was far overdue, and I started to worry. The car was only parked 5 miles from his work, and he works 8 miles from home. It had been over an hour since he had left and he wasn't returning my calls or texts. It was dark and raining like crazy. At and hour and a half, just as I was texting him, the doorbell rang. He was home. I had parked the car in a different park than our usual spot, and the park gate was locked--with our car in the lot. JE rode the rest of the way home, he was thoroughly soaked. Glad I made a nice dinner for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment