Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 83: Hangars

I awoke far too early to be comfortable with it, and the rain pounding the skylight let me know the weather was not in my favor. The pool and walkway around it were at the same level, with a small ridge where the concrete lifts to warn unsuspecting passers-by of imminent wetness. Not that there were any passers by, dry or otherwise. Yoga is my friend on such days. I crawled back to bed, bone-deep-cold and scoot so close to JE, he nearly fell out of bed. Warmth is a beautiful thing. We awoke to the phone ringing. JE scrambled to answer it; and upon realizing the time, to get out the door.

I stayed home and sewed, finished JE's shirt and was about to start another, when JE came to pick me up for a surprise. Oh, man! Christmas came early!!!

There are two buildings in Tustin, giant, mega, ultra, huge hangars. They were built in 1942 to house the airships that patrolled the coast in those days. Each building housed 6 airships-massive Each I've been in love with them since we moved here. They are a landmark that can be seen for miles around. I got to go inside one of them today!



The company JE works for was having a photo shoot there today. I got to tag along. As we walked inside the building, the most noticeable thing is the vastness, the huge ceiling held by a network of wooden joists. JE immediately pointed out the ladders to the incredibly high catwalks. The second thing I noticed, were the owl pellets scattered all over the cement floor. Workrooms and offices lined each side of the hangar, each door painted a kind red.


We walked to the far end, which was cordoned off. There was a smaller structure housing a small airship replica--possibly for a movie?


We climbed a steep wooden stair up to a booth two stories high, commenting about what it would be like to be in there directing one of those massive airships. Everything was coated with a thick layer of dust. Looking down at the hangar floor below, I noticed the puddles from leaks in the roof; I know other 68 year olds with far worse leakage. We walked the perimeter, poking our noses in whatever windows weren't blocked out. We discovered a mascot painted in a dark hall.



At some point I realized there had to be tether rings. How did I notice bird puke and not the tether rings all over the floor?



It was so cool, just being inside! I think I can forgive JE for not taking me on that Maruchan noodle company tour.



A friend recommended Peter's Gourmade Grill in Tustin. It shares a building with the Valero gas station on McFadden and the 55. This place takes gas station food to a higher level. Awesome! For some reason I thought I would need the Greek style fries with my burger. I should have asked! They came laden with fresh tomatoes and onions, feta cheese and gyro meat! We barely made a dent in them. Awesome burger--sweet pickle? Who knew? Yum! They also serve amazing sweet potato fries--which you can choose to have toasted marshmallow over the top. JE got a chicken sandwich with basil. It was so yummy!



My deadline for Christmas stuff was unexpectedly brought forward a day, so I have been sewing most of the day. I got to a point I know I can finish tomorrow morning after my run (I know! I know! I feel the need for swim and I really really miss my bike! Hopefully tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment