Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 76: Scattered, sorry

Often, I have many thoughts throughout the day that I think would make a great topic for a blog. However, they come at the most inopportune times! Geeze! Riding my bike in the dark, in the shower, in the midst of a conversation, etc...

Sometimes when I am practicing yoga, I'll get into a position--particularly a balance position--that I just can't seem to hold. If I let my inability get to me, I get a bit more distracted and out of focus. However, if I concentrate on slowing my mind, focusing on the initial pose and increase the position slowly, I find my balance increased, my stamina longer, my ability improved. On my cycle tour, this ability was something I used regularly, especially when climbing hills.

This morning's run was a tough one. I couldn't quiet myself. Just as we left the house, JE told me he had signed up to bring a savory breakfast item to his work holiday potluck. My mind raced over everything I had available to fix for his potluck. It's just what I do. My legs were leaden and heavy this morning, but I slogged around a mile and a half.

Mac and Cheese
When we got home, I put a pot of salty water to boil on the stove for one pound noodles. I melted about 4 Tb butter in a saucepan and then added around a third cup of flour. Stir for a few minutes until it starts smelling toasty, then whisk in a couple cups of milk/pasta water. Whisk until thick and add more liquid if needed. Remove from heat and add a cup and some of whatever cheese you have on hand, grated--we always have Tillamook medium cheddar. In a skillet, I sauteed and onion, added some previously cooked bacon, ham and some reconstituted mushrooms. Mix the sauce, skillet stuff and noodles. Pour into buttered casserole dish and cover with 1.5 cups dried breadcrumbs mixed with 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese, 3 Tb butter and 1 tsp garlic salt. Bake at 300 for about 25 minutes.

Around 10:30 this morning Keith walked into the shop. He had been told of my need to raise the table and had come to investigate. Within a couple hours, my table was raised to new heights! Hurray for tender mercies!

After work, I rode to JE along my trail. The cool rain-promising weather causes most Californians to hide themselves away. Christmas shopping is almost done.

No comments:

Post a Comment