Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 80: Time

This has been a season for running. With all my gift baking and Christmas making, I have been running from one end of town to the other. Today wasn't much different. After a beautiful Christmas program at church, we baked soft molasses cookies to take to a few friends who have been on my mind.

Soft Molasses Cookies
Cream together
3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
Add 1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses and beat until lighter
Sift together
12.5 oz (2 1/2 cups) flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Add 1/3 cup finely chopped candied ginger
Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Chill until firm. Form into 1" balls and roll in raw sugar to coat. Bake on parchment lined cookie sheets in a 350 oven for 9-10 minutes. Cookies will be crinkly and a bit puffy. Allow to cool for a moment before removing to a rack.

We visited an older couple who have been away from church because of illness. I knew our visit would be appreciated, I hadn't realized how needful it was. They invited us in and we sat and chatted with them for quite a while. So, if you are reading this, and are having a hard time getting into any kind of Christmas mode (other than shop and rush), make a batch of your favorite cookies--even if they come in a roll in the refrigerator section--and go visit someone you suspect may be lonely. The truth is, it isn't about the cookies, but the time.

Our second stop was to a widow from church. She invited us in for some hot chocolate. We sat at her kitchen table and talked about travel, food, plans, genealogy. And we sang Christmas carols. I love her.

Time is a funny thing. I am embarking on training for something where every second counts (if I were doing it to win--which I am not). But in my life, my crazy, harried wonderful life, I crave to slow down. Ironically, there just isn't always time to slow down. At least, that is what I tell myself.

Friday was my last day at work for the season. I'll return in the new year. That means that this week and next are all mine to do with what I choose to do. Last minute sewing for JE is a must and a few stocking stuffers. I'm excited for some daytime swimming and hopefully the rain will let up so I can go out for a nice long ride for a few days. Running in the rain is invigorating, so no worries there.

Plan of attack for training this week:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: Running, 3 miles--on a nice trail close to JE's work, just to mix it up a bit. Swimming 500 yds with 4 warm up and 4 cool down laps. Lunges, squats, sit ups, Basic flow yoga. Essentially, my goal it to do two of the triathlon activities each day, whether it's cycling, swimming, running, or transitions. My times will be posted each day (someone hold me to that?). (transitions=running to cycling or cycling or swimming 15-20 minutes each activity). I also need to work on my stretching-hip is often nasty tense. Note to self: Any break in the weather is a good time to hop on your bike! Just GO!!! You'll love it once you're there!

No comments:

Post a Comment