Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 68; Lace

Hi Croatia, What's for breakfast?

My brain turned on at 4:37 and wouldn't let me get back to sleep. The only thing to do was clean up the storage stuff from setting up the Christmas tree last Sunday. Clutter screams at me much louder than sewing. Eventually, I did crawl back into bed and slept through a couple alarms. The clock radio is set to classical music, which on most days is fine. The dress crisis has been averted. Someday, when my life isn't already consumed with sewing for a living, I will make a riotous dress for myself. Right now, there is enough on my plate. My wedding dress is getting a dye bath tomorrow...

While I was preparing for my wedding in 1999, a friend was heading to the LA fabric mart and asked if I wanted her to pick up some swatches. Absolutely!!! I was living in tiny Provo, Utah and was excited about the prospect of something different. She came back with a swatch of the world's most perfect lace and told me it was $7-8 per yard--really inexpensive for what it was. As she was leaving to go back to LA to pick up several things, including my lace, she asked if I had a price limit on the lace and how much I would need of it. Thinking the lace was so inexpensive, I told her no, I had no price limit and gave her specifications for how much I would need. She returned with 10 yards and gave me the receipt for $50 per yard. I heart was in my stomach, I was so sick about it.

My Gram had told me that she would pay for my dress fabric, as my wedding gift. I made a watercolor illustration of my design, stapled the swatch of the lace and the silk under dress to it, and told her about the misunderstanding. I also told her that I could sell the fabric in Utah for more than I paid for it. In reply, she sent me a check to cover the amount and her best wishes.

On my commute home, this evening, I felt strong and elated. I rode faster and further than I had set out. Long, lacy shadows covered the trail as the streets lights shown through the trees. Dusk was almost gone soon after I started and it was really dark when I got to our meet up point. JE pulled up with the car moments after I did. We headed home for pumpkin soup and cheesy toast.

I didn't swim today. I doubt I will this week. Right now I can't swim if I want to stay afloat.

No comments:

Post a Comment