Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 62: oranges

A friend was telling me of her experience in Japan on one of the
smaller islands that had rarely seen a foreigner. She was riding her
bike one day, when an old farmer man grabbed ahold of her long blonde
hair, dismounting her from her bike. He apologized profusely,
explaining that he had been telling his wife about a girl with blonde
hair living on the island, but his wife wouldn't believe him. He was
trying to get a bit of hair as proof. My friend gave him some of her
hair. The following day, the old man and his wife brought a huge box
of oranges to my friend and her host family.

So many American fruitcakes are based on citron-a candied citrus peel
that looses it's true flavors during the process. I make my own and
use it sparingly, soaking it in brandy. This years cakes are cherry,
apricot, and golden raisin. I top the whole thing with a layer of
handmade marzipan and top that with flavored handmade fondant.
Should I add my candied orange peel? Opinions please!

We woke up early and moved the furniture to accomodate our yoga mats
and practiced yoga for an hour. Kbyu.tv has a great show called Total
Body Workout. Even that felt hurried. So busy right now with the
craft fair this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment