Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 78: Sisyphus

Sisyphus has been rolling his rock around in my mind lately.

Sisyphus was the king of the original city Corinth. He was a naughty trickster, who fooled the gods and even hid Death (Hades) in his closet for a few days. Sisyphus died, but fooled death and was released from the underworld, only to be dragged back again. He was told he would be released if he rolled a huge rock up and over a hillside in Hades. The rock was enchanted, and rolled back down the hill just before the crest. Sisyphus, however is eternally compelled to roll that dang rock up and over that hill.

I often wonder what is going on around Sisyphus in this story. We know Persephone is there in the underworld 6 months of the year. There were other people and gods, as well. Parties? Probably. We know there were pomegranates. Surely there are far more interesting things to see and do in the underworld than roll an enchanted rock up and down a hill. So, lets say Sisyphus leaves off with the rock for a bit and has a look-see at what is around him. That big rock settles a bit into his living room, but that is OK, it isn't going anywhere. Sisyphus looks out the window one day, and with all his cleverness decides to have a party. He decorates his house for the party, and lights the stone with a string of Christmas lights. He invites Persephone, the woman responsible for persuading Hades to release him from death. He invites all the gods, including Zeus and the nymph. They comes, but hesitantly. People show up and make themselves at home. At first people wonder about the rock, but soon it just becomes part of the decor, a conversation piece. Sisyphus finds joy and contentment in being, and starts doing other amazingly interesting things.

There are a lot of ways I can see this story as useful in my life, but I think the perpetual want/desire for something is the thing that stands in front right now. And being blind to all other things because of that want. Where am I going with this? There are things I want in my life that are beyond my control (I am not talking about what I can do for my physical well-being here, but the nitty-gritty of what makes me Iris). It might be time to lay that boulder aside and just enjoy what life has to offer, all of what life has to offer in my circumstances. The boulder can still be there without me worrying over it.

As for my training: I ran my 3 miles without stopping today. In the rain, up hill both ways... It was a tough sell this morning in the wee early hours, but I just kept going. That first quarter mile is a killer, but I kept insisting that if I kept it up, I would be OK. Later, I found that I forgot I was running. I couldn't stand another day of writing about what a huge slacker I am. Thank you for your support.

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this post Iris! Wise words, and absolutely a lesson to be learned. I had never heard of Sisyphus, which means I must brush up on my mythology!

    Yes, we all have some boulder we need to lay aside. They just get in the way of enjoyment of the current moment.

    ReplyDelete