Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 73: Tea

Just before I left Russia in April 1998, things were just starting to thaw out. Water was dripping from housetops, snow shined with a slick icy sheen. Tatiana Ivanevna and I went for a stroll after dinner one night. We had walked on snow pack over a field and were headed back home. The days were long by then, with the sun horseshoe arching around the pole. The way home led through a small ravine and up a hill. As we approached the ravine, the snow started to turn to slush under us, causing us to sink to our knees in places. 'What is this? Russian quicksand?' I asked Tatiana Ivanevna, struggling to stand. She was tipsy and giggling like tween at my misfortune of having sunk knee deep into the snow. She explained about rivers that form under the snow pack in places making it very dangerous to cross, that some people disappear in such circumstances, or freeze to death because they can't cross the ice. (It was time to give up the felt boots and replace them with rubber boots.) Great... And right on queue, the wild dogs sent up a howl. Tatiana laughed harder, telling me that in the spring the wild dogs can become very aggressive toward people. Even more great... When Tatiana Ivanevna sank in to her hip and struggled for several minutes trying to shimmy onto her butt, she was laughing way too hard. By that time we both were. We continued our journey, finally conceding to crawl on hands and knees through the slushy ice. Tatiana was wearing a knee length skirt, I was wearing jeans. We watched as the wild dog pack shot through the bushes a hundred feet away, not heeding us in the least. The slush subsided as we finally made it to the hill.

We were only about half a mile from home, but my jeans froze in angry sheets at my knees. Tatiana's boots were soaked. We hurried home and had hot tea. She made me soak my feet in a hot foot bath with a half cup of dried mustard in it. My feet have never been so soft.

Tonight we spent the evening with BC. He has a great view of the Manhattan Beach pier and invited us down for the fireworks and festivities. He made dinner for us--a sort of pozole and awesome bread pudding with whiskey sauce. Each time we visit BC, and we settle into his living room, he serves us hot tea. My favorite is Twinings Apple-chamomile. Tonight he gifted several boxes of this hard to find flavor. Genuine friends are gold, and he definitely fits that category. Thanks, BC! You rock.

My plan for this week:
Monday: Get up early and run my route, trying to cut down on my time by adding a couple sprints. Finish with lunges, squats, sit ups and push ups. Ride to work over my hilly ride. Work. ride to JE's work. PM Yogurtland with friends (I am totally addicted to Snowflake mint with Oreos Geesh!)

Tuesday: Ride to work and around back bay. Work. PM ride to JE's work. Swim

Wednesday: Similar to Monday but must finish Christmas shopping

Thursday: See Tuesday. Work potluck

Friday: See Monday. Shop potluck and church Christmas party--last day before the new year--depending on how much I get done this week

Saturday: I know there's something... Can't remember

No comments:

Post a Comment