Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 320: Math

Whoever said I wouldn't need math when I grew up was a big fat liar. Oh, wait... I think I said that. Oops.

Monday and Tuesday, I spent the days patterning period jackets and vests for men. It is all math and proportions and how those proportions relate to each other. The work can be mentally exhausting. By the end of the day, I need several dance breaks just to keep me on my mental toes. When I left work last night, I was cross and irritated; it seemed that none of my patterning was going to work, that my proportions were all wrong and there was no balance nor beauty in my work. Today, I cut muslin mock-ups of the vest and jacket and sewed them together. Ten minutes before I left, I threw it on a form and saw--a jacket, well balanced and ready for a first fitting. That felt great.

Tonight at the pool, there was an older couple floating on pool noodles, chatting. Once I had my swim cap, goggles and chronometer on, I waded out into my lane closest to the wall. I ducked my head under and started my warm up. It was so quiet under the water, peaceful and thoughtful. Then I noticed the older couple, their bodies were plush and round, full and beautiful. They floated vertically, feet flailing, arms stretched out treading water. Their bodies were perfectly proportioned and balanced, there was ease and comfort in their movements. Later they were joined by what I think were a few adult children and a grandbaby. Under the water, I was free to look over at them and see their artful bodies in their modest swimsuits and shorts, and see how they related to each other. Such sweetness.

2,000 yard, 1 to 4 speed intervals.

No comments:

Post a Comment