Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 198: Bells, Bikes and Badges

After our swim this morning (48 laps or 1920 yards) we took off to Long Beach to visit our brothers-in-law, who are racing in the Grand Prix. JE and I parked about 5 miles from the event and we rode our bikes along the board walk to the race. We arrived late and missed our opportunity to pick up our credentials. However, RL, our brother in law, found us and gave us passes on lanyards. Actually, I was given a lanyard with nothing on it--I tucked the end of the lace into my shirt and hung close to those who actually had permissible access. This allowed us access to all areas of the race, including the paddock area, grandstand, and track. No one questioned us. Lesson: Own it and no one will question it.

We drove around in the team's golf cart, through the back alleys of the race. People were everywhere, and golf carts are silent, so I used my bicycle tactics and went Portland on them. "On your Left!" It actually worked, who knew?

For dinner we went to Roscoe's house of Chicken and Waffles. While we waited for our table we sat in the adjacent bar and enjoyed live jazz. Live music is such a blessed thing. When in company of really amazing artists, music transcends genre. I am not a big fan of recorded improvisational jazz, but love it live. It was good fun to be there.

It had been nearly 10 hours since I had eaten breakfast. When my dinner came (#23--candied yams, greens, corn bread and fried chicken) I ate and ate and vacuumed the entire table of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment