Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 191: Some like it Hot

Expecting a bunch of family in town for the Long Beach Grand Prix today, I got up early to make pie. Cocounut cream in tasty little crusts lined with dark chocolate. It wasn't until I had 2 dozen mini pies on the counter that I learned family isn't in town until next weekend. Gurg for misinformation.

Around 9, I woke JE up with a plate of pie. We sat in bed taste testing these little pieces of pastry bliss and then got up to run. It was a nice run, 7.25k (4.5 miles), my longest yet.

After our run, we went for a swim. Initially, I had a hard time focusing; I really just wanted to play in the pool. It seems a long time since I went swimming in the daylight, with the sun casting light on the bottom of the pool. So beautiful, and fun to glide through. I set my intentions and did my calculations. 45 laps is equal to one mile. I broke it down into four 320 yard sets and one 520 yard set, and then went for it, resting for about 30 seconds between each set. One mile and a pinch.

To celebrate, we set off to Santa Ana for our favorite taco truck. I doused my battleship taco with a mild looking avocado salsa and sat on the curb to eat. The first bite in, I realized my mistake. Air raid sirens should have been going off on that battleship taco. That was no mild salsa! I don't mind hot, but that was almost ridiculous! About midway through, JE traded with me. The man was crying before he finished--or at least his eyes were watering.

This evening, my friend CC was singing at Bacchus Secret Cellar, a wine bar in Irvine. She has a sweet voice and the music was great. I sat looking at the menu, found the page for dessert and recognized a terrible need that place has for some truly amazing desserts. It got me thinking. I got the card for the manager...

5 comments:

  1. Oh boy! I hope you end up making them delicious goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy! Coconut cream and chocolate? Brilliant. I look forward to seeing what comes of the card you got. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so yummy!

    I just registered for my first ever Olympic length Tri in May. So excited and Nervous! Suddenly all of my efforts have more meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The manager LOVED them (we shared) and would be interested in selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Guys! Colleen, I think I just woke the neighbors with my whoop! Stoked! Thank you! It was a fun night!

    ReplyDelete