Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 186: Longing for Community

I was shocked this evening as we trotted around our neighborhood. No one was outside walking. This morning, as I zoomed around Irvine and Tustin on my bike, I saw many people out strolling. My thoughts turned to community and how being outside brings such a sense of belonging. There are so many I know out there in the broader community of cyclists and runners, but closer to home people don't seem to go out as much. Perhaps it is just a California thing, or perhaps it is a TV prime-time thing. Not sure... Any thoughts out there?

At this point, I feel like I could take a bow and play my hamstrings. They are tight as cello strings. Club Nike is kicking my butt. Not complaining, at all. Since our circuit training class ended, it is nice to have at least this.

My cycling route demanded diversification this morning. I had thought to go through Santiago canyon, but needed to do some prep work for my class tomorrow. All play and no work... I ended up in the hills above Tustin, roaming the neighborhoods, climbing and rolling out hills for 27 miles. I almost had a Maria moment... I can still feel that song sneaking out of my throat.


Running tonight felt really good. My ankle is still bunk (I am icing as we speak). It was a short run, only 3 miles and some change, but I ran different. When I observe runners who run with grace and efficiency, they are always running on the balls of their feet. I am trying to retrain myself to do this, and to open my gait, lift my heals. All of this is hard work. And it hurts. And it sucks. But just like with anything good, it is worth working for. Afterward, I felt so good! That is the point in all of this: to feel good, have fun, enjoy my life.

Tonight, the wind is coming straight off the Great Pacific. It feels cool and very fresh. As I ran, I heard a screech and watched as an owl landed in a tree. He must have found dinner, because of all the other chirping and squabbling up there.

Dinner was completely enjoyable. Falafel is so easy and fresh. I forget about making it. I also made tabouli using quioa instead of couscous--just to give it that added punch of protein. (My spell check doesn't seem to speak foodie)


JE has grown his beard again. When I asked him how long he is going to grow it, he said:
JE: Until I die. And when I get to heaven it will suddenly be twice as long
I: And God will say, 'Nice beard, John."
JE: And I will say, 'Right back at ya, Big Guy!'

I have nick-named JE, Bike-Beard

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I love your little JE convo snippets. They are always so funny. Hope you get a little more community as the weather continues to warm. Everyone comes out of the woodwork here anytime the weather warms up above freezing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is indeed a very funny man!
    When I lived in the Arctic in Russia, the people there couldn't wait for spring. there was still several feet of snow pack, but it was almost 30 degrees outside! So warm and balmy out, compared to what it had been a few weeks before. People took picnics out into the stubbly forest, dug out around the trees, made little fires and sat bundled in blankets and parkas in the long daylight hours.

    Now I live in Southern California, where the temperature ranges from 50-85 F most days. And yet if there is the slightest coolness or damp out, people don't go outside. Such a spoiled bunch of people!

    ReplyDelete